Python packet capture utility

VYAS ASHISH M-NTB837

Dear All

I want to capture tcp packets in python. I need to do this on both
Windows and Linux on python3.1

I came across the following:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pycap/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pylibpcap/
http://code.google.com/p/pypcap/
http://oss.coresecurity.com/projects/pcapy.html

I am not able to evaluate on my own. Which one should I pick up?
Priority is python3.1 support on both windows and Linux. I don't have to
do many/complex operations. If it is not so programmer friendly I am OK.

Also let me know if 2to3 would help here if there is not python3
support.

Regards
Ashish

Grant Edwards

Dear All

I want to capture tcp packets in python. I need to do this on both
Windows and Linux on python3.1

I came across the following:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pycap/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pylibpcap/
http://code.google.com/p/pypcap/
http://oss.coresecurity.com/projects/pcapy.html

I am not able to evaluate on my own.

And we're supposed to evaluate them for you?

pycap: last release 5/2003.

pylibpcap: last release 5/2008

pycap: last release 1/2007

pcapy: last release 3/2007
Which one should I pick up?

I'd start with the newest one. It's the one I use, and it
works fine for me.
Priority is python3.1 support on both windows and Linux.

I don't think any of them support 3.1.
I don't have to do many/complex operations. If it is not so
programmer friendly I am OK.

Also let me know if 2to3 would help here if there is not
python3 support.

I'f you're not expereienced porting libraries from 2.4 to 3.1,
then you shouldn't be using 3.1.