Python plugin for Firefox

zelegolas

Hi,

It's may be a stupid question but do you if someone tried to create a
python plugin for firefox?
If you know an Open Source project let me know...

Thanks

Steve Holden

zelegolas said:
Hi,

It's may be a stupid question but do you if someone tried to create a
python plugin for firefox?
If you know an Open Source project let me know...

Thanks

Look for references to Mark Hammond's PyCon keynote and the work he's
been doing with the Mozilla team.

regards
Steve

Todd Whiteman

zelegolas said:
Hi,

It's may be a stupid question but do you if someone tried to create a
python plugin for firefox?
If you know an Open Source project let me know...

Thanks

This was asked just recently on the list (included responses below):

You can use Python inside of Mozilla (Gecko) based applications now,
such as Firefox/Thunderbird/Komodo Edit/XulRunner which communicate
through the Mozilla XPCOM architecture.

There are builds of PyXPCOM (Python XPCOM) that can be downloaded and
easily installed through the xpi extension mechanism, see:
http://pyxpcomext.mozdev.org/

The Mozilla 1.9 branch (Gecko 1.9) also contains the hooks necessary to
be able to use Python as a script handler, instead of having to use
JavaScript. This is commonly referred to as PyDOM.

To get and use PyXPCOM (Mozilla 1.8 and Mozilla 1.9):
* install the above extension
* or make your own build of the Mozilla application

To get and use PyDOM (Mozilla 1.9):
* you'll need to make your own build of the Mozilla application

I'm the one working on the PyXPCOM extension, which I am hoping will
eventually contain the PyDOM module as well (once I get around to making
new Mozilla builds with this enabled).

Cheers,
Todd