    python plugin for firefox?
    If you know an Open Source project let me know...

    Thanks

    zelegolas, Apr 17, 2008

  2. zelegolas

    Steve Holden Guest

    zelegolas wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > It's may be a stupid question but do you if someone tried to create a
    > python plugin for firefox?
    > If you know an Open Source project let me know...
    >
    > Thanks

    Look for references to Mark Hammond's PyCon keynote and the work he's
    been doing with the Mozilla team.

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

    Steve Holden, Apr 17, 2008

  3. zelegolas wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > It's may be a stupid question but do you if someone tried to create a
    > python plugin for firefox?
    > If you know an Open Source project let me know...
    >
    > Thanks

    This was asked just recently on the list (included responses below):

    Joe P. Cool wrote:
    > > In 2005 I heard of plans to add Python as a second language to the
    > > Gecko engine. Is this still true? Or has this plan been abandoned?

    You can use Python inside of Mozilla (Gecko) based applications now,
    such as Firefox/Thunderbird/Komodo Edit/XulRunner which communicate
    through the Mozilla XPCOM architecture.

    There are builds of PyXPCOM (Python XPCOM) that can be downloaded and
    easily installed through the xpi extension mechanism, see:
    http://pyxpcomext.mozdev.org/

    The Mozilla 1.9 branch (Gecko 1.9) also contains the hooks necessary to
    be able to use Python as a script handler, instead of having to use
    JavaScript. This is commonly referred to as PyDOM.

    To get and use PyXPCOM (Mozilla 1.8 and Mozilla 1.9):
    * install the above extension
    * or make your own build of the Mozilla application

    To get and use PyDOM (Mozilla 1.9):
    * you'll need to make your own build of the Mozilla application

    I'm the one working on the PyXPCOM extension, which I am hoping will
    eventually contain the PyDOM module as well (once I get around to making
    new Mozilla builds with this enabled).

    Cheers,
    Todd

    Todd Whiteman, Apr 17, 2008