Python port to Swiss Ephemeris work with 2.3?

Dave

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows whether it's possible to use the
Python port to the Swiss Ephemeris with the latest version Python 2.3?
I downloaded it from the vault, and it worked fine with Python 2.2.2, but
then when I switched to Python 2.3 it gives me this error:

"ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found"

Yet it has no problem importing the rest of the modules which are in the
same directory as the dll. Does anyone know what's going on? Am I stuck
using the older version of Python for the Swiss Ephemeris? Thanks -Dave

John Roth

Dave said:
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows whether it's possible to use the
Python port to the Swiss Ephemeris with the latest version Python 2.3?
I downloaded it from the vault, and it worked fine with Python 2.2.2, but
then when I switched to Python 2.3 it gives me this error:

"ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found"

Yet it has no problem importing the rest of the modules which are in the
same directory as the dll. Does anyone know what's going on? Am I stuck
using the older version of Python for the Swiss Ephemeris? Thanks -Dave

There's a Python port in the Vaults? Great!!! I'll see what I can figure
out about it. At a rough guess, it has to be recompiled for the new version.

BTW - have you checked on the Swiss Ephemeris mailing list? Who's
the author?

John Roth

Dave

There's a Python port in the Vaults? Great!!! I'll see what I can figure
out about it. At a rough guess, it has to be recompiled for the new version.
BTW - have you checked on the Swiss Ephemeris mailing list? Who's the author?
John Roth

Joshua Solomon is quoted as the author in the readme file.
I didn't know there was a Swiss list, and I just did a websearch and
got their address ([email protected]). I will post there, too. For
now, I reinstalled
2.2.2 and also downloaded the updated IdleFork which gives me the 2.3
IDE
while running 2.2. But, since 2.3 is supposed to be 20-30% faster, it
would
be nice if the port worked with that. Let me know if you have any
more
advice or info. Thanks -Dave

John Roth

Dave said:
Joshua Solomon is quoted as the author in the readme file.
I didn't know there was a Swiss list, and I just did a websearch and
got their address ([email protected]). I will post there, too. For
now, I reinstalled
2.2.2 and also downloaded the updated IdleFork which gives me the 2.3
IDE
while running 2.2. But, since 2.3 is supposed to be 20-30% faster, it
would
be nice if the port worked with that. Let me know if you have any
more
advice or info. Thanks -Dave

I found it on the Vaults under the Misc heading. Looks good.
Looks a lot better than my interface.

You need to recompile using the same compiler that Python
was compiled with (I believe that's VC 6 for the Windows version.)
Extension modules ***always*** need to be recompiled for major
Python releases.

John Roth

Dave

I found it on the Vaults under the Misc heading. Looks good.
Looks a lot better than my interface.
You need to recompile using the same compiler that Python
was compiled with (I believe that's VC 6 for the Windows version.)
Extension modules ***always*** need to be recompiled for major
Python releases. John Roth

Thanks John, I wouldn't know how to do that since I haven't worked
with C much. -Dave

John Roth

Dave said:
Thanks John, I wouldn't know how to do that since I haven't worked
with C much. -Dave

Sigh. I don't either. My copy of VC6 is the cheap one that only
includes the C++ compiler. Unfortunately, the C module was
generated by SWIG, which makes converting it to C++ so
I can compile it right out of the question.

John Roth

Geoff Gerrietts

Quoting John Roth ([email protected]):
You need to recompile using the same compiler that Python was
compiled with (I believe that's VC 6 for the Windows version.)
Extension modules ***always*** need to be recompiled for major
Python releases.

Is that really true under Windows? It's not true on Unix releases:
Guido takes exquisite care to make sure that Python releases are
binary-compatible. Is it possible that moving the file around somehow
might make Python sufficiently aware?

--G.