Python PostgreSQL frontend for Win2K with MinGW32 ?

Dave Haynes

Hi,

This is just as much a PostgreSQL question as a Python one, but here
goes...

I've been trying to port the psycopg interface to a Win2K client
(server runs FreeBSD). I'm using MinGW32 rather than CygWin, and having
trouble compiling the libpg library as a DLL.

I started off with the following:

configure --with-template=win --without-zlib
make -C src/interfaces install

After complaints that I was missing "Makefile.port" I took
a copy from Makefile.win.

My Win2K/MSYS/MinGW32 setup doesn't have netinet/in.h, ioctl.h, inet.h,
or arpa.h, so I removed the #includes to these header files in
pg_config.h. I sort of assumed that none of these would be needed, and I
would end up linking to the Windows socket library instead of all the
Unix stuff. Massive overoptimism replaced by confusion and gloom.

The dlltool can't find a lot of the socket call targets, fe-connect.c
and fe-misc.c being the main offenders.

Can anyone help, please? I know there are some psycopg enthusiasts
about; I'd be very grateful for some pointers. I'd rather use MinGW32
than CygWin; I could swap but my understanding was that MinGW has all
that's required.

Alternatively, are there any VC++ Studio binaries available? Not that
I approve of course ;-)

Cheers,

Dave

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=

Dave said:
Hi,

This is just as much a PostgreSQL question as a Python one, but here
goes...

I've been trying to port the psycopg interface to a Win2K client
(server runs FreeBSD). I'm using MinGW32 rather than CygWin, and having
trouble compiling the libpg library as a DLL. [...]

I'd recommend you statically link in libpq into your Python PostgreSQL
interface. That's what I'm doing for the win32 releases of pyPgSQL. I'm
also, like you, using mingw for these and I use this patch I created
many moons ago:

http://pypgsql.sourceforge.net/misc/postgresql.html

HTH,

-- Gerhard