Python progamming certification

Apollo

Hi All,

Is there a Python programming certification like Sun's Java certificates?

Thanks in advance,

Apollo

Is there a Python programming certification like Sun's Java
certificates?

I know about BrainBench's certificate. Is there any?

David Mertz, Ph.D.

| > Is there a Python programming certification like Sun's Java
|certificates?
|I know about BrainBench's certificate. Is there any?

There at least *was* a BrainBench certification in Python 1.5.2. I
don't know if they still offer it, given the new versions.

I happen to know it once existed because I WROTE it. That said, I was
*extremely* unimpressed with BrainBench's test design--I have a
background in testing theory (and practice). I did the best possible
within their guidelines, but the best possible was still not
particularly good.

If you just want a piece of paper, I suppose it doesn't matter how bad a
test is. If you want the certification to actually show something about
takers' abilities... well, don't bother with BrainBench.

Yours, David...

Maxim Khesin

to know it once existed because I WROTE it.

COOL! BTW they still offer the 1.5 test.

That said, I was
*extremely* unimpressed with BrainBench's test design--I have a
background in testing theory (and practice).

Don't tell me you too cheated on your SATs :)

I did the best possible
within their guidelines, but the best possible was still not
particularly good.

If you just want a piece of paper, I suppose it doesn't matter how bad a
test is. If you want the certification to actually show something about
takers' abilities... well, don't bother with BrainBench.

I should just mention that I got hit up for an interview last week due
to my BrainBench C++ test. So they are not entirely worthless (even
though there were syntax errors in the test itself). I do not know if
the Python test is worth the $45 they are charging from that perspective
since I suspect very few potential employers will be looking for Python
programmers on BrainBench.

John J. Lee

Maxim Khesin said:
to know it once existed because I WROTE it.
[...]
I should just mention that I got hit up for an interview last week due
to my BrainBench C++ test. So they are not entirely worthless (even

C++ is one area where a simple test might be useful, though. Python,
much, much less so.

[...]
the Python test is worth the $45 they are charging from that
perspective since I suspect very few potential employers will be
looking for Python programmers on BrainBench.

Certainly.

John

Anand Pillai

Perhaps this mail need to be brought to the attention
of the marketing-python mailing list as a possible (not
to mention easy too!) way of making money from Python :))

Well Brandon, where art thou??

-Anand

John said:
to know it once existed because I WROTE it.
[...]

I should just mention that I got hit up for an interview last week due
to my BrainBench C++ test. So they are not entirely worthless (even

C++ is one area where a simple test might be useful, though. Python,
much, much less so.

[...]
the Python test is worth the $45 they are charging from that
perspective since I suspect very few potential employers will be
looking for Python programmers on BrainBench.

But how can I convince employers that I know Python I have not
programmed using Python in career before?

Apollo

John said:
to know it once existed because I WROTE it.
[...]

I should just mention that I got hit up for an interview last week due
to my BrainBench C++ test. So they are not entirely worthless (even

C++ is one area where a simple test might be useful, though. Python,
much, much less so.

[...]
the Python test is worth the $45 they are charging from that
perspective since I suspect very few potential employers will be
looking for Python programmers on BrainBench.

But how can I convince employers that I know Python I have not
programmed using Python in career before?

Paul Rubin

Apollo said:
But how can I convince employers that I know Python I have not
programmed using Python in career before?

Why that's the simplest of all. Write an interesting program and
release it as free software.

Dang Griffith

Why that's the simplest of all. Write an interesting program and
release it as free software.
And/or contribute to an already-existing project that needs
assistance.
That would have the added benefit of supporting any claims you may
make regarding teamwork. And, if the team is distributed, you could
simultaneously gain support for any claims you may make regarding the
ability to work independently.
Hmmm... now I'm starting to feel like such a louse. Guess I'll
have to start contributing more than occasional newbian answers and
weak, pithy witicisms.
--dang

Peter Hansen

And/or contribute to an already-existing project that needs
assistance.
That would have the added benefit of supporting any claims you may
make regarding teamwork. And, if the team is distributed, you could
simultaneously gain support for any claims you may make regarding the
ability to work independently.
Hmmm... now I'm starting to feel like such a louse. Guess I'll
have to start contributing more than occasional newbian answers and
weak, pithy witicisms.

You just did. <wink>

Alan James Salmoni

Actually, this does raise a serious question - would there be any use
in having such a scheme.

As I am in the job market (not necessarily for Python!), I'm finding
it hard to convince people that I *can* write in Python (note: I
didn't say my programming was any good ;)), even with my own open
source project. A lot of suits and personnel type people just don't
consider FOSS work to be of any value (but then would I want to work
for such a company...?), rather commercial experience only being the
thing of worth. A certification or accredidation might go some way to
solving this, and it might have more status if it were "led" by the
PSF, PBF or whoever. And like someone else in the thread suggested, it
could be a way of generating income...

Alan.

Mark Carter

consider FOSS work to be of any value (but then would I want to work
for such a company...?)

At the end of the day, aren't we all wage slaves anyway?
rather commercial experience only being the

I had the same problem with programming in academia; because it's not
"real", or something. Makes me feel like punching someone in the neck.

Apollo

Mark said:
At the end of the day, aren't we all wage slaves anyway?

I had the same problem with programming in academia; because it's not
"real", or something. Makes me feel like punching someone in the neck.

I don't know but I think I have done more interesting, complex and
challenging programs in schools than what I am doing now in the profession.