    Hi All,

    Is there a Python programming certification like Sun's Java certificates?

    Thanks in advance,
    Apollo, Dec 9, 2003

  2. Apollo

    Aahz Guest

    In article <O2cBb.6556$>,
    Apollo <_@_._> wrote:

    >Is there a Python programming certification like Sun's Java certificates?

    Give me US$500, and I'll make you one.
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    Aahz, Dec 9, 2003

  3. Apollo

    Apollo Guest

    > Is there a Python programming certification like Sun's Java
    certificates?

    I know about BrainBench's certificate. Is there any?
    Apollo, Dec 9, 2003
  4. Apollo <_@_._> wrote previously:
    | > Is there a Python programming certification like Sun's Java
    |certificates?
    |I know about BrainBench's certificate. Is there any?

    There at least *was* a BrainBench certification in Python 1.5.2. I
    don't know if they still offer it, given the new versions.

    I happen to know it once existed because I WROTE it. That said, I was
    *extremely* unimpressed with BrainBench's test design--I have a
    background in testing theory (and practice). I did the best possible
    within their guidelines, but the best possible was still not
    particularly good.

    If you just want a piece of paper, I suppose it doesn't matter how bad a
    test is. If you want the certification to actually show something about
    takers' abilities... well, don't bother with BrainBench.

    Yours, David...

    --
    ---[ to our friends at TLAs (spread the word) ]--------------------------
    Iran nuclear neocon POTUS patriot Pakistan weaponized uranium invasion UN
    David Mertz, Ph.D., Dec 9, 2003
  5. Apollo

    Maxim Khesin Guest

    > to know it once existed because I WROTE it.

    COOL! BTW they still offer the 1.5 test.

    That said, I was
    > *extremely* unimpressed with BrainBench's test design--I have a
    > background in testing theory (and practice).

    Don't tell me you too cheated on your SATs :)

    I did the best possible
    > within their guidelines, but the best possible was still not
    > particularly good.
    >
    > If you just want a piece of paper, I suppose it doesn't matter how bad a
    > test is. If you want the certification to actually show something about
    > takers' abilities... well, don't bother with BrainBench.

    I should just mention that I got hit up for an interview last week due
    to my BrainBench C++ test. So they are not entirely worthless (even
    though there were syntax errors in the test itself). I do not know if
    the Python test is worth the $45 they are charging from that perspective
    since I suspect very few potential employers will be looking for Python
    programmers on BrainBench.
    Maxim Khesin, Dec 9, 2003
  6. Apollo

    John J. Lee Guest

    Maxim Khesin <> writes:

    > > to know it once existed because I WROTE it.

    [...]
    > I should just mention that I got hit up for an interview last week due
    > to my BrainBench C++ test. So they are not entirely worthless (even

    C++ is one area where a simple test might be useful, though. Python,
    much, much less so.

    [...]
    > the Python test is worth the $45 they are charging from that
    > perspective since I suspect very few potential employers will be
    > looking for Python programmers on BrainBench.

    Certainly.

    John
    John J. Lee, Dec 9, 2003
  7. Apollo

    Anand Pillai Guest

    Perhaps this mail need to be brought to the attention
    of the marketing-python mailing list as a possible (not
    to mention easy too!) way of making money from Python :))

    Well Brandon, where art thou??

    -Anand

    Anand Pillai, Dec 10, 2003
  8. Fredrik Lundh, Dec 10, 2003
  9. Apollo

    Apollo Guest

    John J. Lee wrote:
    > Maxim Khesin <> writes:
    >

    >>>to know it once existed because I WROTE it.

    > [...]
    >
    >>I should just mention that I got hit up for an interview last week due
    >>to my BrainBench C++ test. So they are not entirely worthless (even

    > C++ is one area where a simple test might be useful, though. Python,
    > much, much less so.
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >>the Python test is worth the $45 they are charging from that
    >>perspective since I suspect very few potential employers will be
    >>looking for Python programmers on BrainBench.

    But how can I convince employers that I know Python I have not
    programmed using Python in career before?
    Apollo, Dec 11, 2003
  10. Apollo

    Apollo Guest

    Apollo, Dec 11, 2003
  11. Apollo

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Apollo <_@_._> writes:
    > But how can I convince employers that I know Python I have not
    > programmed using Python in career before?

    Why that's the simplest of all. Write an interesting program and
    release it as free software.
    Paul Rubin, Dec 11, 2003
  12. On 10 Dec 2003 18:06:04 -0800, Paul Rubin
    <http://> wrote:

    >Apollo <_@_._> writes:
    >> But how can I convince employers that I know Python I have not
    >> programmed using Python in career before?

    >Why that's the simplest of all. Write an interesting program and
    >release it as free software.

    And/or contribute to an already-existing project that needs
    assistance.
    That would have the added benefit of supporting any claims you may
    make regarding teamwork. And, if the team is distributed, you could
    simultaneously gain support for any claims you may make regarding the
    ability to work independently.
    Hmmm... now I'm starting to feel like such a louse. Guess I'll
    have to start contributing more than occasional newbian answers and
    weak, pithy witicisms.
    --dang
    Dang Griffith, Dec 11, 2003
  13. Apollo

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Dang Griffith wrote:

    > On 10 Dec 2003 18:06:04 -0800, Paul Rubin
    > <http://> wrote:
    >
    > >Apollo <_@_._> writes:
    > >> But how can I convince employers that I know Python I have not
    > >> programmed using Python in career before?

    > >Why that's the simplest of all. Write an interesting program and
    > >release it as free software.

    > And/or contribute to an already-existing project that needs
    > assistance.
    > That would have the added benefit of supporting any claims you may
    > make regarding teamwork. And, if the team is distributed, you could
    > simultaneously gain support for any claims you may make regarding the
    > ability to work independently.

    > Hmmm... now I'm starting to feel like such a louse. Guess I'll
    > have to start contributing more than occasional newbian answers and
    > weak, pithy witicisms.

    You just did. <wink>
    Peter Hansen, Dec 11, 2003
  14. Actually, this does raise a serious question - would there be any use
    in having such a scheme.

    As I am in the job market (not necessarily for Python!), I'm finding
    it hard to convince people that I *can* write in Python (note: I
    didn't say my programming was any good ;)), even with my own open
    source project. A lot of suits and personnel type people just don't
    consider FOSS work to be of any value (but then would I want to work
    for such a company...?), rather commercial experience only being the
    thing of worth. A certification or accredidation might go some way to
    solving this, and it might have more status if it were "led" by the
    PSF, PBF or whoever. And like someone else in the thread suggested, it
    could be a way of generating income...

    Alan.

    Alan James Salmoni, Dec 12, 2003
  15. Apollo

    Mark Carter Guest

    > consider FOSS work to be of any value (but then would I want to work
    > for such a company...?)

    At the end of the day, aren't we all wage slaves anyway?

    > rather commercial experience only being the

    I had the same problem with programming in academia; because it's not
    "real", or something. Makes me feel like punching someone in the neck.
    Mark Carter, Dec 12, 2003
  16. Apollo

    Apollo Guest

    Mark Carter wrote:
    >>consider FOSS work to be of any value (but then would I want to work
    >>for such a company...?)

    > At the end of the day, aren't we all wage slaves anyway?
    >

    >> rather commercial experience only being the

    > I had the same problem with programming in academia; because it's not
    > "real", or something. Makes me feel like punching someone in the neck.

    I don't know but I think I have done more interesting, complex and
    challenging programs in schools than what I am doing now in the profession.
    Apollo, Dec 13, 2003