Python Projects Continuous Integration

Harry George

Dave Potts said:
Hi,

I'm just starting a development project in Python having spent time in
the Java world. I was wondering what tool advice you could give me
about setting up a continuous integration environment for the python
code: get the latest source, run all the tests, package up, produce the
docs, tag the code repository. I'm used to things like Maven and
CruiseControl in the Java world.

Cheers,

Dave.

First, sorry to hear you have had to use Java. You should recover
after a few months in Python. Second, welcome to Python. Third, some
of us emacs as our IDE.

I presume you often have several packages open at once, each with its
own regression tests, own documentation, and own CVS or SVN "module".
You may also have multiple coding languages going at once (e.g.,
Python, C, C++, FORTRAN, Lisp, PROLOG). Doing this in emacs:

1. Make a separate instance for each package being edited. In the
instance make separate frames for a) code buffers, b) test case
buffers, c) doc buffers. In the test frame, make a shell window
where you can run go_test, thus running your testsuite for that
package. In the doc frame, make a shell window where you can run
go_doc. (Must of couse have written those go_ scripts, also done
in emacs of course.).

If there are too many things happening for one desktop, run each
package in a separate desktop (you are working in an OS which has
virtual screens, right?).

2. Do CVS checkin/checkout in tool of your choice. Emacs can do it. I
prefer tkcvs, with editor set to emacs and diff set to emacs's'
ediff. Personal preference.

3. Do documentation in the tool of your choice. Emacs can support
pretty much any natural language, and has markups for just about
any markup mechanism (SGML, XHTML, etc.). I use my own Pdx, edited
in emacs, and thus autogenerate HTML, PDF, LaTeX, etc. Again,
personal preference. At a minimum, use some mechanism which allow
autogeneration of documentation, auto inclusion of code snippets,
and hyperlinking. Since the go_doc is run in an emacs shell, use
alt-P-return to rerun the line. Redocumenting is thus a 2
keystroke effort.

4. Do testing using a batch go_test script, running a suite built from
unittest. As needed, write debug statements to another buffer in
that frame, where you can use full emacs functionallity to search
it. Since the go_test is run in an emacs shell, use alt-P-return
to rerun the line. Retesting is thus a 2 keystroke effort.

5. Oh, yes, coding. Emacs's python-mode.el works fine. Colorize or
not as you see fit. There are ways to set up code-completion, but
personally I never do it. You can setup etags but I never do --
emacs search and grep-find do what I need. Personal preference.

6. Use exactly the same setup for language after language, decade
after decade, platform after platform. Use your brain cells form
something useful, like learning new technologies and new
algorithms.

Dave Potts

Hi,

I'm just starting a development project in Python having spent time in
the Java world. I was wondering what tool advice you could give me
about setting up a continuous integration environment for the python
code: get the latest source, run all the tests, package up, produce the
docs, tag the code repository. I'm used to things like Maven and
CruiseControl in the Java world.

Cheers,

Dave.

beliavsky

Harry said:
First, sorry to hear you have had to use Java. You should recover
after a few months in Python. Second, welcome to Python.

If you are serious about welcoming someone to Python, don't start by
making snide comments about their primary computer language. There are
trade-offs between Python and language X, for almost all X's.

baalbek

Dave said:
Hi,

I'm just starting a development project in Python having spent time in
the Java world. I was wondering what tool advice you could give me
about setting up a continuous integration environment for the python
code: get the latest source, run all the tests, package up, produce the
docs, tag the code repository. I'm used to things like Maven and
CruiseControl in the Java world.

Coming from the world of Java, you probably are familiar with Eclipse?
Might even have it installed already?

Eclipse comes with a very cool Python perspective, called Pydev.
Installation instructions can be found at: http://pydev.sourceforge.net/

Code completion, syntax coloring, etc etc, in my opinion Eclipse/Pydev
is one of the most convenient/advanced environments in which to work
with Python.

baalbek

Ziga Seilnacht

Dave said:
Hi,

I'm just starting a development project in Python having spent time in
the Java world. I was wondering what tool advice you could give me
about setting up a continuous integration environment for the python
code: get the latest source, run all the tests, package up, produce the
docs, tag the code repository. I'm used to things like Maven and
CruiseControl in the Java world.

Cheers,

Dave.

Buildbot might be what you are looking for:
http://buildbot.sourceforge.net/

Hope this helps,
Ziga

Ant

Harry said:
[snip stuff about how to set emacs up as your IDE]

Not sure which post you read, but the OP of this thread was asking
about continuous integration, not integrated development environments.
i.e. tools to *automatically* check out code when the repository has
changed, build it if necessary (perhaps if there are C modules in the
case of python) and run the unit tests.

To the OP: you could of course simply continue to use cruise - it's
only a tool after all, and won't require any additional learning if you
are already having to learn a new language with all the associated
libraries and idioms.

Fuzzyman

Dave said:
Hi,

I'm just starting a development project in Python having spent time in
the Java world. I was wondering what tool advice you could give me
about setting up a continuous integration environment for the python
code: get the latest source, run all the tests, package up, produce the
docs, tag the code repository. I'm used to things like Maven and
CruiseControl in the Java world.

Hello Dave,

At Resolver Systems we use Cruise Control .NET along with IronPython
and Subversion to provide Source Code Control and continuous
integration. The combination is *great*.

I've never had to configure it (I just poke it occassionally), but it
*looks* like it should be usable with non .NET projects: we have it
running all sorts of batch files and Python scripts as part of the
built and test process.

All the best,

Fuzzyman

Miki

Hello Dave,
I'm just starting a development project in Python having spent time in
the Java world. I was wondering what tool advice you could give me
about setting up a continuous integration environment for the python
code: get the latest source, run all the tests, package up, produce the
docs, tag the code repository. I'm used to things like Maven and
CruiseControl in the Java world.
If you are familiar with CruiseControl and Maven then it shouldn't be
too complicated to write a Maven file that run the tests, package up,
produce the docs. CruiseControl can take care of all the rest.

I also found that writing a simple Continuous integration system myself
was a very simple task in Python, it might be a good choice as well. (I
resorted to this solution after giving up on trying to install Java on
OpenBSD.)

HTH,
Miki
http://pythonwise.blogspot.com/