Python RPM and CentOS

Discussion in 'Python' started by rbt, May 16, 2005.

  1. rbt

    rbt Guest

    Not really a Python question, but I thought some on this list may be
    able to answer.... so here goes:

    I have several machines on which I must install CentOS. There are many
    updates to CentOS and it's very time consuming to do the updates over
    the network. I have a local copy of all of the updated rpms. Would it be
    reasonable to do something like this to upgrade them locally and more
    quickly than over the network???

    updated_rpms = [list of updated rpms]

    for f in updated_rpms:

    try:
    os.popen("/bin/rpm --nodeps -U %s" %f)

    except Exception, e:
    print e

    Thanks,

    rbt

    rbt, May 16, 2005

  2. rbt

    flamesrock Guest

    I know that gentoo has support for local repositories, and emerge is
    built on python so...this would make sense. But there is a difference
    between rpms and ebuilds..

    flamesrock, May 16, 2005

  3. rbt

    Ken Godee Guest

    The reasonable thing would be to use "yum".

    Ken Godee, May 17, 2005