    ps i want programming some open source soft for network with gui

    thankx a lot

    east wind
    Vent d'Est - East Wind, Aug 17, 2004

  2. Vent d'Est - East Wind

    Daniel Yoo Guest

    Vent d'Est - East Wind <> wrote:
    : Can somebody tell me what s exactly the difference beetween scheme and
    : python languages

    : i m thiking to learn one of them but i m not sure wich one

    : somebody told me python is better and have much library
    : somebody told me scheme is much smarter and have nice structure

    Hello!

    What programming language experience do you already have?

    If you're looking for Scheme learning resources, you may want to look
    at the PLT web site:

    http://www.plt-scheme.org/

    In particular, the Scheme folks have written a few books for learning
    the language; the link above has an online version of "How to Design
    Programs", which is an excellent book. Another great book whose
    implementation language is Scheme is "The Structure And Interpretation
    of Computer Programs":

    http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/

    On the Python side, you may want to look at:

    http://www.python.org/topics/learn/

    If you are a beginner to programming, visit:

    http://www.python.org/topics/learn/non-prog.html

    which includes links to introductory programming tutorials.

    : i also see a project about a scheme/python implementation
    : here is the url
    : http://plt-spy.sourceforge.net/home.html
    : i m not sure what s really but seems cool if someone know more about it
    : or have some concrete exemple it can be more understable

    If you are interested in the other direction, I have a weak Scheme
    interpreter that's written in Python:

    http://hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu/~dyoo/python/pyscheme/

    It's not perfect (and frankly, is a little outdated!), but it's a
    proof-of-concept that one language can model the other.

    Personally, I like both languages, so my advice would be to look at
    them both. (But perhaps not at the same time... *grin*)

    Good luck to you!
    Daniel Yoo, Aug 17, 2004

  3. Daniel Yoo wrote:
    > Vent d'Est - East Wind <> wrote:
    > : Can somebody tell me what s exactly the difference beetween scheme and
    > : python languages
    >
    > : i m thiking to learn one of them but i m not sure wich one
    >
    > : somebody told me python is better and have much library
    > : somebody told me scheme is much smarter and have nice structure
    >
    > Hello!
    >

    > What programming language experience do you already have?

    beginner i like script-fu and python-fu in gimp but it s not the only
    soft to do i m think to write a network gui soft
    i have some problem with scheme on my debian

    Running the PLT installer...
    ../bin/mzscheme: relocation error: ./bin/mzscheme: symbol
    __libc_stack_end, version GLIBC_2.1 not defined in file ld-linux.so.2
    with link time reference
    Error: PLT installer failed.

    i installed one on my windows and work fine but i dont want to stay to
    long on windows because too buggy too unstable and to virus
    and i begin learn linux it s quite cool

    > If you're looking for Scheme learning resources, you may want to look
    > at the PLT web site:
    >
    > http://www.plt-scheme.org/

    yeah i saw it thankx

    > In particular, the Scheme folks have written a few books for learning
    > the language; the link above has an online version of "How to Design
    > Programs", which is an excellent book. Another great book whose
    > implementation language is Scheme is "The Structure And Interpretation
    > of Computer Programs":
    >
    > http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/

    i see some free ebook in html format but seems difficult
    i think to begin with these book if i do scheme Little Schemer and
    Seasonned Scheme from Mit press
    unfortunatly still not free edition so i will surely buy on amazon.com

    > On the Python side, you may want to look at:
    >
    > http://www.python.org/topics/learn/
    >
    > If you are a beginner to programming, visit:
    >
    > http://www.python.org/topics/learn/non-prog.html
    >
    > which includes links to introductory programming tutorials.
    >

    > : i also see a project about a scheme/python implementation
    > : here is the url
    > : http://plt-spy.sourceforge.net/home.html
    > : i m not sure what s really but seems cool if someone know more about it
    > : or have some concrete exemple it can be more understable
    >
    > If you are interested in the other direction, I have a weak Scheme
    > interpreter that's written in Python:
    >
    > http://hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu/~dyoo/python/pyscheme/
    >
    > It's not perfect (and frankly, is a little outdated!), but it's a
    > proof-of-concept that one language can model the other.

    your soft seems very intersting but i m too beginner for understand it
    good in fact but in future can be cool

    > Personally, I like both languages, so my advice would be to look at
    > them both. (But perhaps not at the same time... *grin*)

    it s also why i cant choice ok i choice to learn them both if not same
    times wich ones first ??

    > Good luck to you!

    THANKXX for your precious advis i m gratefull to your hint
    Vent d'Est - East Wind, Aug 17, 2004
  4. Vent d'Est - East Wind

    Guest

    Daniel Yoo <> writes:
    > It's not perfect (and frankly, is a little outdated!), but it's a
    > proof-of-concept that one language can model the other.

    how does python model call-with-current-continuation?

    Klaus Schilling
    , Aug 17, 2004
  5. Vent d'Est - East Wind

    Daniel Yoo Guest

    wrote:
    : Daniel Yoo <> writes:
    :> It's not perfect (and frankly, is a little outdated!), but it's a
    :> proof-of-concept that one language can model the other.

    : how does python model call-with-current-continuation?

    Hi Klaus,

    I'm not sure if you meant that question to be a challenge, but I'll
    take it up! *grin*

    The question is slightly off: there's nothing about Python in
    particular that prevents us from implementing call/cc. It does,
    however, take a bit of work: implementing call/cc involves a rewrite
    of the interpreter into a CPS form.

    It's actually not too bad, and I have now done this. As a nice side
    effect, we also get proper tail recursion! Hurrah!

    You can take a look at the updated code here:

    http://hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu/~dyoo/python/pyscheme/pyscheme-1.5pre.tar.gz

    For example:

    ;;;;;;
    volado:~/Documents/work/pyscheme/trunk/src dyoo$ python scheme.py
    Welcome to PyScheme! Type: (QUIT) to quit.

    [PyScheme] >>> (+ 1 (call/cc (lambda (k) (+ 2 (k 3)))))
    4
    ;;;;;;

    The improvements are due to ideas I stole from Shriram Krishnamurthi's
    "Programming Languages: Application and Interpretation":

    http://www.cs.brown.edu/~sk/Publications/Books/ProgLangs/

    and Friedman, Wand, and Haynes "Essentials of Programming Languages":

    http://www.cs.indiana.edu/eip/eopl.html

    I'm psyched now: I think I finally understand continuations! *grin*

    I do have to fix a major bug with pair representation in pyscheme.
    But as soon as I get that outstanding fixed, I'll send a more formal
    announcement.

    Hope this helps!
    Daniel Yoo, Aug 29, 2004