python scripts to standalone executable

Amit Gupta

Hi

I am looking for a some tool that can convert python scripts to
executable on Linux.

I found freeeze.py as the only option so far. Couple of queries on
freeze:

1. Have anyone used the freeze utility and any experiences to share
from that?
2. Is there any enterprise-level exe-builder for python on linux
(ActiveState has nothing)?

Any other related commets are also welcome.

Thanks
Amit

John Henry

Hi

I am looking for a some tool that can convert python scripts to
executable on Linux.

I found freeeze.py as the only option so far. Couple of queries on
freeze:

1. Have anyone used the freeze utility and any experiences to share
from that?
2. Is there any enterprise-level exe-builder for python on linux
(ActiveState has nothing)?

Any other related commets are also welcome.

Thanks
Amit

I don't know about freeeze.py but for me, I've been using py2exe, and
also pyinstall quite often and they both work for me.

Amit Gupta

I don't know about freeeze.py but for me, I've been using py2exe, and
also pyinstall quite often and they both work for me.

Isnt py2exe for windows only?
I haven't looked at pyinstall.. Is it for linux?

Amit Gupta

Not sure. I use it on windows.

It appears so - according tohttp://www.pyinstaller.org/

Thanks! It does show support for Linux. The documentation says it
works for python until version 2.4. I am using 2.5.1. Not sure if it
will work seamlessly, but I will try.

If anyone has experience to share on using pyinstaller on 2.5.1 or
higher, please share.

Amit

Mike Driscoll

Hi

I am looking for a some tool that can convert python scripts to
executable on Linux.

I found freeeze.py as the only option so far. Couple of queries on
freeze:

1. Have anyone used the freeze utility and any experiences to share
from that?
2. Is there any enterprise-level exe-builder for python on linux
(ActiveState has nothing)?

Any other related commets are also welcome.

Thanks
Amit

What about creating a setup.py and using the distutils command to
build rpms or tarballs?

http://docs.python.org/dist/built-dist.html

Mike

Amit Gupta

What about creating a setup.py and using the distutils command to
build rpms or tarballs?

http://docs.python.org/dist/built-dist.html

Mike

My quick look: The link you sent is under the header "Distributing
Python Modules". In my case, I have set of python-files that
altogether is part of one product-functionality. I would like to
package it and have it run standalone, even if the user does not have
python installed.

Ok, I guess build-dist can possibly achieve the same purpose (without
reading through the link you sent). So my question would be: why is
there pyinstaller, if this does the job. Is build-dist more low-level
and thus is over-kill for the kind of application I am looking for?:

Thanks

Mike Driscoll

My quick look: The link you sent is under the header "Distributing
Python Modules". In my case, I have set of python-files that
altogether is part of one product-functionality. I would like to
package it and have it run standalone, even if the user does not have
python installed.

Good point. I guess I missed the "one product-functionality"
requirement in your original post. Sorry for the noise!
Ok, I guess build-dist can possibly achieve the same purpose (without
reading through the link you sent). So my question would be: why is
there pyinstaller, if this does the job. Is build-dist more low-level
and thus is over-kill for the kind of application I am looking for?:

Thanks

PyInstaller is for converting something you've written in Python into
a binary for various OS's. When I read through the thread though, I
thought your requirements might include distributing the modules as
source too.

If you want to produce a binary for Macs, I've heard that py2app does
the job: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/py2app/

There's also cx_freeze, which is different than freeze.py:
http://www.cxtools.net/default.aspx?nav=cxfrlb

The last one is probably the best new advice I have to offer.

Mike

BlueBird

Hi

I am looking for a some tool that can convert python scripts to
executable on Linux.

I found freeeze.py as the only option so far. Couple of queries on
freeze:

1. Have anyone used the freeze utility and any experiences to share
from that?
2. Is there any enterprise-level exe-builder for python on linux
(ActiveState has nothing)?

Any other related commets are also welcome.

Thanks
Amit

I've run into the same question and decided to keep a web page memo
about it:

http://www.freehackers.org/Packaging_a_python_program

I'll be happy to update it with feedback.

Philippe