    Any other related commets are also welcome.

    Thanks
    Amit
    Amit Gupta, Mar 31, 2008

  2. Amit Gupta

    John Henry Guest

    On Mar 31, 10:24 am, Amit Gupta <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am looking for a some tool that can convert python scripts to
    > executable on Linux.
    >
    > I found freeeze.py as the only option so far. Couple of queries on
    > freeze:
    >
    > 1. Have anyone used the freeze utility and any experiences to share
    > from that?
    > 2. Is there any enterprise-level exe-builder for python on linux
    > (ActiveState has nothing)?
    >
    > Any other related commets are also welcome.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Amit

    I don't know about freeeze.py but for me, I've been using py2exe, and
    also pyinstall quite often and they both work for me.
    John Henry, Mar 31, 2008

  3. Amit Gupta

    Amit Gupta Guest

    On Mar 31, 10:37 am, John Henry <> wrote:
    > On Mar 31, 10:24 am, Amit Gupta <> wrote:
    >

    > > Hi

    > > I am looking for a some tool that can convert python scripts to
    > > executable on Linux.

    > > I found freeeze.py as the only option so far. Couple of queries on
    > > freeze:

    > > 1. Have anyone used the freeze utility and any experiences to share
    > > from that?
    > > 2. Is there any enterprise-level exe-builder for python on linux
    > > (ActiveState has nothing)?

    > > Any other related commets are also welcome.

    > > Thanks
    > > Amit

    > I don't know about freeeze.py but for me, I've been using py2exe, and
    > also pyinstall quite often and they both work for me.

    Isnt py2exe for windows only?
    I haven't looked at pyinstall.. Is it for linux?
    Amit Gupta, Mar 31, 2008
  4. Amit Gupta

    John Henry Guest

    On Mar 31, 10:38 am, Amit Gupta <> wrote:
    > On Mar 31, 10:37 am, John Henry <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Mar 31, 10:24 am, Amit Gupta <> wrote:

    > > > Hi

    > > > I am looking for a some tool that can convert python scripts to
    > > > executable on Linux.

    > > > I found freeeze.py as the only option so far. Couple of queries on
    > > > freeze:

    > > > 1. Have anyone used the freeze utility and any experiences to share
    > > > from that?
    > > > 2. Is there any enterprise-level exe-builder for python on linux
    > > > (ActiveState has nothing)?

    > > > Any other related commets are also welcome.

    > > > Thanks
    > > > Amit

    > > I don't know about freeeze.py but for me, I've been using py2exe, and
    > > also pyinstall quite often and they both work for me.

    > Isnt py2exe for windows only?

    Not sure. I use it on windows.

    It appears so - according to http://www.pyinstaller.org/
    John Henry, Mar 31, 2008
  5. Amit Gupta

    Amit Gupta Guest

    On Mar 31, 11:45 am, John Henry <> wrote:

    > Not sure. I use it on windows.
    >
    > > I haven't looked at pyinstall.. Is it for linux?

    > It appears so - according tohttp://www.pyinstaller.org/

    Thanks! It does show support for Linux. The documentation says it
    works for python until version 2.4. I am using 2.5.1. Not sure if it
    will work seamlessly, but I will try.

    If anyone has experience to share on using pyinstaller on 2.5.1 or
    higher, please share.

    Amit
    Amit Gupta, Mar 31, 2008
  6. On Mar 31, 12:24 pm, Amit Gupta <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am looking for a some tool that can convert python scripts to
    > executable on Linux.
    >
    > I found freeeze.py as the only option so far. Couple of queries on
    > freeze:
    >
    > 1. Have anyone used the freeze utility and any experiences to share
    > from that?
    > 2. Is there any enterprise-level exe-builder for python on linux
    > (ActiveState has nothing)?
    >
    > Any other related commets are also welcome.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Amit

    What about creating a setup.py and using the distutils command to
    build rpms or tarballs?

    http://docs.python.org/dist/built-dist.html

    Mike
    Mike Driscoll, Mar 31, 2008
  7. Amit Gupta

    Amit Gupta Guest

    On Mar 31, 1:52 pm, Mike Driscoll <> wrote:

    > What about creating a setup.py and using the distutils command to
    > build rpms or tarballs?
    >
    > http://docs.python.org/dist/built-dist.html
    >
    > Mike

    My quick look: The link you sent is under the header "Distributing
    Python Modules". In my case, I have set of python-files that
    altogether is part of one product-functionality. I would like to
    package it and have it run standalone, even if the user does not have
    python installed.

    Ok, I guess build-dist can possibly achieve the same purpose (without
    reading through the link you sent). So my question would be: why is
    there pyinstaller, if this does the job. Is build-dist more low-level
    and thus is over-kill for the kind of application I am looking for?:

    Thanks
    Amit Gupta, Mar 31, 2008
  8. On Mar 31, 4:53 pm, Amit Gupta <> wrote:
    > On Mar 31, 1:52 pm, Mike Driscoll <> wrote:
    >

    > > What about creating a setup.py and using the distutils command to
    > > build rpms or tarballs?

    > >http://docs.python.org/dist/built-dist.html

    > > Mike

    > My quick look: The link you sent is under the header "Distributing
    > Python Modules". In my case, I have set of python-files that
    > altogether is part of one product-functionality. I would like to
    > package it and have it run standalone, even if the user does not have
    > python installed.

    Good point. I guess I missed the "one product-functionality"
    requirement in your original post. Sorry for the noise!

    > Ok, I guess build-dist can possibly achieve the same purpose (without
    > reading through the link you sent). So my question would be: why is
    > there pyinstaller, if this does the job. Is build-dist more low-level
    > and thus is over-kill for the kind of application I am looking for?:
    >
    > Thanks

    PyInstaller is for converting something you've written in Python into
    a binary for various OS's. When I read through the thread though, I
    thought your requirements might include distributing the modules as
    source too.

    If you want to produce a binary for Macs, I've heard that py2app does
    the job: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/py2app/

    There's also cx_freeze, which is different than freeze.py:
    http://www.cxtools.net/default.aspx?nav=cxfrlb

    The last one is probably the best new advice I have to offer.

    Mike
    Mike Driscoll, Apr 1, 2008
  9. Amit Gupta

    BlueBird Guest

    On Mar 31, 7:24 pm, Amit Gupta <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am looking for a some tool that can convert python scripts to
    > executable on Linux.
    >
    > I found freeeze.py as the only option so far. Couple of queries on
    > freeze:
    >
    > 1. Have anyone used the freeze utility and any experiences to share
    > from that?
    > 2. Is there any enterprise-level exe-builder for python on linux
    > (ActiveState has nothing)?
    >
    > Any other related commets are also welcome.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Amit

    I've run into the same question and decided to keep a web page memo
    about it:

    http://www.freehackers.org/Packaging_a_python_program

    I'll be happy to update it with feedback.

    Philippe
    BlueBird, Apr 1, 2008