python server?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Francesco Marchetti-Stasi, Oct 11, 2005.

  1. Hello everybody,

    I am the happy yet unsatisfied owner of an ipaq 3760. I am writing a
    python+pygtk editor optimized for an handheld, and in the future I'd
    like to write more applications (to-do-list and agenda are on top of
    my priorities, since the existing ones don't fit my needs).

    I was now thinking of a way to improve memory usage. Any python
    application I launch takes 9-10 MB, and this risks to be a major
    blocking factor, since the memory I have is only 64 MB.

    So I'd like to share the memory between programs, sort of an
    emacs-server mode. I have a vague idea of the way to implement this,
    with a python-server.py script which would take over programs from a
    launcher.py script, or maybe a single script which would run into the
    background, the first time it is launched, and feed the programs to an
    already running copy, when finding an already running instance. Since
    I am mainly interested to GUI applications, the resulting threads
    should cohexist nicely.

    I was wondering if something similar already existed, to use as-is or
    to adapt to my needs.
    I did a little googling, which pointed me to interesting, but rather
    different projects. Has anybody ever seen or heard something of this
    kind? Or maybe there is something almost-ready in the amazing python
    library (as you understand, I am rather new to python), and I missed
    it?

    Thanks,
    Francesco.

    Francesco Marchetti-Stasi, Oct 11, 2005

  2. > I was wondering if something similar already existed, to use as-is or
    > to adapt to my needs.
    > I did a little googling, which pointed me to interesting, but rather
    > different projects. Has anybody ever seen or heard something of this
    > kind? Or maybe there is something almost-ready in the amazing python
    > library (as you understand, I am rather new to python), and I missed
    > it?

    Mabybe pyro helps you - it'S pure python, and makes working with remote
    objects pretty transparent.

    Diez

    Diez B. Roggisch, Oct 12, 2005