Python teaching book recommendations: 3.3+ and with exercises

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Angelico, May 2, 2013.

  1. One of my younger brothers, still school age, is to be studying some
    aspect of computing for the next term or two. I strongly recommended
    he learn Python (it has a bit more future than studying the internals
    of OS/2), and my/his father then asked me what book I'd recommend him
    to study through. I know this has come up a few times, but searching
    back in my emails didn't give a clear answer.

    Whether it's an ebook or in paper doesn't matter, but there need to be
    exercises that the student can perform on his own, and then an
    external tutor (aka my dad) then check up on. Python 3 is a must;
    preferably something designed for 3.3+ as that's what he'll be using.
    Beyond that, I was just asked to recommend "the best", which is
    unfortunately vague... but I gather they'll be deferring to the
    expertise of the list in figuring out what that means :)

    So, within those not-very-many restrictions, what would you all
    recommend? Let's get a nice discussion going and see where it leads us
    (most likely to a resident troll ranting about a favorite topic, but
    hey, maybe Dihedral will come out with some nugget of wisdom for us)!

    Chris Angelico

    Chris Angelico, May 2, 2013

  2. On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 8:49 PM, Alister <> wrote:
    > A guy of your abilities & knowledge, why not write your own. you could
    > use the experience of teaching your brother to hone it to perfection.
    >
    > Ok this was slightly tounge in cheek ( but not intended to be in any way
    > offensive). I will now offer to put my money where my mouth is an make a
    > contribution if you were to put it up on kickstarter.

    Not at all offensive... it just implies that I have time to spend,
    during the day, somewhere in between holding down my own full-time job
    :) I'm hoping to be involved as little as possible in the day-to-day
    of it, though of course I'll be as happy to answer his questions as I
    am to answer them here on the list. Also, the suggestion implies that
    I'm a Python expert, which isn't exactly true; I actually have not
    done many nontrivial Python programs (for instance, I've never used
    _any_ of the GUI toolkits available). Hence my hope of finding a book
    written by an expert and recommended by experts. :)

    ChrisA

    Chris Angelico, May 3, 2013