python texts?

nate

Hello everyone,

Can anyone recommend python text progression from me. Assuming I have no
knowledge of python which books should I progress through? I prefer
published books that I can actually hold with my hands. But if there are
some awesome tutorials on-line I guess I am game. At this moment I am
reading Learning Python 2nd edition by O'Reilly. I am enjoying it at the
moment. I intend to be done with it in a week. But not sure where it
will put me in the grand scheme of programming with python.

So perhaps a more direct question would be, what do I read after this
book? Should I read something before this book? Should I ditch this book?

Thanks,
--Nate

Scott David Daniels

Dave said:
I'd get the Python Cookbook, next.

There's a jump. The Cookbook is quite advanced. I'd write code next.

Then, I'd read through the docs for all the provided modules (fast, the
idea is to know where to go back for detail, not to understand each
module in depth), and write more code. If you want paper for going
through the modules, next I'd read either Beazley's "Python Essential
Reference" or Alex Martelli's "Python in a Nutshell."

Choosing between P.E.R. and Nutshell is really quite individual. They
are both great, thorough jobs that leave you with a wonderful reference
work after you've read them. I'd say P.E.R. is terser, going for
density and brevity, while the Nutshell is a bit more elaborative
on what it covers. The choice between Martelli and Beazley is, I
suspect, one of your learning style. Find somewhere to look at each
(any edition) and read twenty pages from the middle. One of them will
seem much better than the other, and it has everything to do with what
you prefer.

The Cookbook comes later. As does getting all the way through the
challenge, but for puzzle lovers, it can be great fun.

--Scott David Daniels
(e-mail address removed)

BartlebyScrivener

I'd say P.E.R. is terser, going for
Yes, sometimes Beazley is too terse if you're reading about something
for the first time. But he's the best when you need to freshen your
knowledge on a module or function you used three months ago.

When in doubt, get both Beazley & Martelli. And follow with the
Cookbook.

Note the Martelli Nutshell is coming out in a new edition in early
July. You can preorder.

http://tinyurl.com/pkczm

rd