Python Tools for Visual Studio - anyone using it?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Philip Semanchuk, Aug 30, 2011.

  1. Philip Semanchuk, Aug 30, 2011

  2. Philip Semanchuk

    mfperzel Guest

    On Aug 30, 1:34 pm, Philip Semanchuk <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I was reminded today (via Slashdot) of Python Tools for Visual Studio which was discussed on this list back in March (http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2011-March/1267662.html) and has reached version 1.0. Is anyone here using it? Care to share pros & cons?
    >
    > Here's the URL for those who haven't heard of it before:http://pytools.codeplex.com/
    >
    > Thanks
    > Philip

    I have been using it for a few days now. I really like it. It
    doesn't have all of the features of other python specific IDEs but the
    core features are done very well. It feels very complete. It seems to
    have all the features I need and they feel rock solid.

    Pros:
    Seemed very snappy compared to other Python IDEs I have used
    Debugger is very well done.
    Price( Free when using the VS 2010 Shell )
    **Subjective: The editor just feels really nice.
    Cons:
    "Basic" compared to other IDES. By this I mean it doesn't have some
    of the nice-to-have features like explicit Django support.
    Have to download and install a 180mb "Shell" version of VS to use
    it if you don't already have VS installed.

    Personally I was very surprised at how good this plugin is. It has
    quickly become my python IDE of choice on Windows( or anywhere else )

    mfperzel, Aug 31, 2011

  3. I understand that Python Tools for Visual Studio doesn't work with VS
    Express, but does work with the (free) VS 2010 Shell. Does anyone know
    if you can install VS Express and VS Shell on the same machine?

    Andrew McLean, Aug 31, 2011