Python Trainers, Promote Thyself!

Jeff Rush

With the recent establishment of the wiki page on python.org for those who
offer training services for the Python language, we now have 23 listed, worldwide.

http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonTraining

Many of the trainers are individuals or small companies, and it can be hard to
get the attention of the big IT houses. While skill credentials and a
portfolio of past training gigs are important, perhaps one of the best
promoters is when someone has actually experienced one of your classes. They
gain insight into your speaking style, how you relate to the students and your
ability to explain complex technical subjects in an approachable way. No
class syllabus can convey that. The Python community has a valuable resource
that can give you the next best thing. Screencasting!

Screencasting is a multimedia creation that focuses on the instructor's
desktop, with voiceover guidance. It can be in the format of an online
slideshow, a guided sourcecode walkthrough or a follow-along interactive
session. They can be as long or short as you wish and they have opportunities
for branding, by using custom wallpaper behind your talks desktop and musical
lead-in/fade-out.

Screencasts can be hosted on www.showmedo.com or, if done with a large font,
video.google.com. They can also be embedded in your website while hosted
elsewhere, as shown at:

http://www.python.org/doc/av/5minutes/

You can learn more about the details with a talk series I put together:

Casting Your Knowledge, With Style
http://www.showmedo.com/videos/series?name=bETR23HwS

But perhaps you're really busy on current projects and short on time. Consider
arranging an audio interview about an upcoming seminar you're offering and
making it available as a podcast. Ron Stephens of Python 411 makes available
an excellent collection of podcasts and may be interested in hosting yours.

Unlike face-to-face presentation opportunities, screencasts/podcasts have the
additional benefit that they promote your training offerings while you're busy
on other gigs. It's almost like cloning yourself and having more time for
promotion. It's all about leverage.

Jeff Rush
Python Advocacy Coordinator