  1. Hello,

    Can anyone point me to a nice tute on making python apps for win32?

    TIA

    Jed R. Mallen, Aug 1, 2004

  2. Jed R. Mallen

    Robert Guest

    "Jed R. Mallen" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello,
    >
    > Can anyone point me to a nice tute on making python apps for win32?
    >
    > TIA

    I looked up "tute" in the dictionary. No such word, so I must assume the
    answer is no. I am sure a nice Google search or even a search on the Python
    web site would help you a lot.

    Robert, Aug 1, 2004

  3. Michel Claveau - abstraction méta-galactique non t, Aug 2, 2004
  4. "Robert" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > I looked up "tute" in the dictionary. No such word, so I must assume the
    > answer is no. I am sure a nice Google search or even a search on the Python
    > web site would help you a lot.

    My bad.

    Sorry, I meant tutorial. I did Google for it but I was looking for a
    recommended tutorial as I was just starting up Python.

    Thanks anyway.

    Jed R. Mallen, Aug 2, 2004
  5. Jed R. Mallen

    Richard Shea Guest

    [snip]

    > Sorry, I meant tutorial. I did Google for it but I was looking for a
    > recommended tutorial as I was just starting up Python.

    Can't think of a tutorial exclusively for Py/W32 but if you're really
    just starting (and on a W32 platform) I strongly recommend getting the
    documentation in Windows Help Format (CHM) - this is a very useful
    facility enabling searching and a slightly friendlier interface than
    the online documentation (which is still great I hasten to add). I've
    just gone looking for where to find that and I can't find it ! I can
    find other doco downloads but not that, can anyone else tell us where
    that is ?

    Also if you have some money to spare I would strongly recommend the
    O'Reilly book "Python Programming on Win32" by Mark Hammond and Andy
    Robinson. It's a very useful book although I have to say that if
    you're just starting you'll find lots to do before you need to start
    worrying about the bits which are specific to Win32.

    Make sure you have downloaded the Win32All package - look here
    http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/ (and while you're at it take
    a look at http://www.python.org/windows/ ) and then you'll have
    PythonWin as well as IDLE to run/edit your code in, as well as lots of
    other Win32 stuff which is useful.

    It occurs to me that you might be thinking of leaping straight into
    GUI programming using Python. If that's so you may have to discount
    some of what I've said about not needing to worry about platform
    differences. I've been using Python for just over a year but so far I
    haven't got into doing the GUI side of things.

    Finally somethign I only just found today myself,
    http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman/python_101/python_101.html - it's not
    Win32 specific but I think you'll find it useful.

    regards

    richard shea.

    Richard Shea, Aug 3, 2004