Python/UNO/OpenOffice?

gregarican

Just because the last code update was a little over a year ago doesn't
mean the UNO project is dead. If the OpenOffice API has remained
basically the same since UNO was last updated and the Python wrappers
are relatively comprehensive then it should fit the bill. Googling
around the UNO project was the only thing I found off-hand as well...

Gary Herron

Are then any currently active and reasonably mature Python plugins/
apis/whatever for programming/scripting OpenOffice? The page I've
found is http://udk.openoffice.org/python/python-bridge.html, but
it was last updated more than a year ago.

Thanks,
Ken
I don't believe that information is out-of-date. I use the python-bridge
with the OpenOffice version 2.0.3 quite successfully. In my case I open
a spread sheet and search around for and extract various values. It
works just fine for me.

Gary Herron

gregarican

That's what I would imagine. Kind of like calling some Microsoft Office
COM/OLE methods in a wrapper. As long as the wrapper has most of the
methods you need and the core COM/OLE calls don't change then that's a
great start.

John Machin

Sybren said:
(e-mail address removed) enlightened us with:

Aside from what has already been said, it might be nice for you to
read my article about OOo and Python at
http://www.stuvel.eu/ooo-python ;-)

Hi, Sybren. I tried folloing your recipe on Windows with OOo 2.0 ...

Minor problem: the executable is called soffice, not ooffice.

Major problem: it crashed right at the start, somewhere in the maze of
dlls.

The following interactive session reproduces the problem:

| C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org
2.0\program\python-core-2.3.4\bin>python

# OOo includes a complete python distribution. Note the directory name
says 2.3.4 ...

| Python 2.3.5 (#62, Feb 8 2005, 16:23:02) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)]
on win32

.... but the program identifies itself as 2.3.5

| Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more
information.

# The above directory contains all the dlls plus a handful of python
files

# crash

Has anyone managed to get further than this on Windows (XP Pro, SP 2)?

Cheers,
John

Sybren Stuvel

John Machin enlightened us with:
Hi, Sybren. I tried folloing your recipe on Windows with OOo 2.0 ...

Minor problem: the executable is called soffice, not ooffice.

Major problem: it crashed right at the start, somewhere in the maze
of dlls.

That's not nice.
Has anyone managed to get further than this on Windows (XP Pro, SP
2)?

Not me - I'm not using Windows. If anyone knows more about this,
please post here or post a comment at
http://www.stuvel.eu/archive/31/article-about-openofficeorg-and-python
so that I can improve the article.

Sybren

olive

For me the problem is that OO2.0 is compiled against P2.3.

Is there any OO compiled with P2.4x for Windows somewhere ?