Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Dec 18)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Paul Boddie, Dec 18, 2006.

  1. Paul Boddie

    Paul Boddie Guest

    QOTW: "c.l.python is just a small speck at the outer parts of the python
    universe. most python programmers don't even read this newsgroup, except,
    perhaps, when they stumble upon it via a search engine." -- Fredrik Lundh
    (on comp.lang.python, prompting the editor to offer greetings to those of
    you who are not reading Python-URL! via that channel)
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/4d73a2da72c87226

    "That's the kind of features I have in mind, and the best thing is that
    conceptually a lot of the work consists of connecting dots that already out
    there. But as there are so many of them, a few extra pencils would be quite
    welcome <wink>" -- Willem Broekema (on comp.lang.python, referring to the
    ongoing CLPython - Python in Common Lisp - project)
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/b72788cc5569d778
    http://trac.common-lisp.net/clpython/

    Registration for PyCon (the North American Python conference) is now open:
    http://pycon.blogspot.com/2006/12/registration-for-pycon-2007-is-now.html
    http://us.pycon.org/TX2007/Registration

    Meanwhile, the EuroPython planners get ahead of themselves, thinking about
    conference venues as far in the future as 2010, if not 20010!
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/europython/2006-December/006158.html
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/europython/2006-December/006161.html

    PyMite - the embedded Python interpreter - gets an update:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python.announce/msg/b335a476d4033292
    http://pymite.python-hosting.com/

    This week's Python advocacy discovery had to be the revelation that YouTube
    runs on Python, helping to diminish concerns about Python's suitability for
    large scale Internet applications and services:
    http://sayspy.blogspot.com/2006/12/youtube-runs-on-python.html
    http://www.python.org/about/quotes/#youtube-com

    Of related things "flexible and fast", development in the Cherokee Web
    server community produces the 100% Python implementation of SCGI: the
    logically named PySCGI.
    http://www.alobbs.com/news/1193

    And on the advocacy front, volunteers are sought to write informative
    materials (flyers, whitepapers) promoting Python in different domains:
    http://wiki.python.org/moin/AdvocacyWritingTasks

    Video conferencing on the OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) prototype takes
    shape with a mixture of technologies and "a few lines of Python":
    http://www.robot101.net/2006/12/12/telepathy-and-olpc/

    After an influx of competing XML technologies and now drifting free
    without an appointed maintainer, is the era of PyXML over?
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/xml-sig/2006-December/011620.html

    On a more administrative level, the Python Software Foundation (PSF)
    invites nominations for new directors:
    http://pyfound.blogspot.com/2006/12/call-for-nominations-of-psf-directors.html

    The PSF also suggests that you might consider a donation towards their
    work of protecting the Python copyrights and trademarks:
    http://pyfound.blogspot.com/2006/12/remember-psf-in-your-year-end.html

    Everything Python-related you want is probably one or two clicks away in
    these pages:

    Python.org's Python Language Website is the traditional
    center of Pythonia
    http://www.python.org
    Notice especially the master FAQ
    http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html

    PythonWare complements the digest you're reading with the
    marvelous daily python url
    http://www.pythonware.com/daily
    Mygale is a news-gathering webcrawler that specializes in (new)
    World-Wide Web articles related to Python.
    http://www.awaretek.com/nowak/mygale.html
    While cosmetically similar, Mygale and the Daily Python-URL
    are utterly different in their technologies and generally in
    their results.

    For far, FAR more Python reading than any one mind should
    absorb, much of it quite interesting, several pages index
    much of the universe of Pybloggers.
    http://lowlife.jp/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/PythonProgrammersWeblog
    http://www.planetpython.org/
    http://mechanicalcat.net/pyblagg.html

    The Python Papers aims to publish "the efforts of Python enthusiats".
    http://pythonpapers.org/

    comp.lang.python.announce announces new Python software. Be
    sure to scan this newsgroup weekly.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python.announce

    Python411 indexes "podcasts ... to help people learn Python ..."
    Updates appear more-than-weekly:
    http://www.awaretek.com/python/index.html

    Steve Bethard continues the marvelous tradition early borne by
    Andrew Kuchling, Michael Hudson, Brett Cannon, Tony Meyer, and Tim
    Lesher of intelligently summarizing action on the python-dev mailing
    list once every other week.
    http://www.python.org/dev/summary/

    The Python Package Index catalogues packages.
    http://www.python.org/pypi/

    The somewhat older Vaults of Parnassus ambitiously collects references
    to all sorts of Python resources.
    http://www.vex.net/~x/parnassus/

    Much of Python's real work takes place on Special-Interest Group
    mailing lists
    http://www.python.org/sigs/

    Python Success Stories--from air-traffic control to on-line
    match-making--can inspire you or decision-makers to whom you're
    subject with a vision of what the language makes practical.
    http://www.pythonology.com/python/success

    The Python Software Foundation (PSF) has replaced the Python
    Consortium as an independent nexus of activity. It has official
    responsibility for Python's development and maintenance.
    http://www.python.org/psf/
    Among the ways you can support PSF is with a donation.
    http://www.python.org/psf/donate.html

    Kurt B. Kaiser publishes a weekly report on faults and patches.
    http://www.google.com/groups?as_usubject=weekly python patch

    Although unmaintained since 2002, the Cetus collection of Python
    hyperlinks retains a few gems.
    http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_python.html

    Python FAQTS
    http://python.faqts.com/

    The Cookbook is a collaborative effort to capture useful and
    interesting recipes.
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python

    Among several Python-oriented RSS/RDF feeds available are
    http://www.python.org/channews.rdf
    http://bootleg-rss.g-blog.net/pythonware_com_daily.pcgi
    http://python.de/backend.php
    For more, see
    http://www.syndic8.com/feedlist.php?ShowMatch=python&ShowStatus=all
    The old Python "To-Do List" now lives principally in a
    SourceForge reincarnation.
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=355470&group_id=5470&func=browse
    http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0042/

    The online Python Journal is posted at pythonjournal.cognizor.com.
    and
    welcome submission of material that helps people's understanding
    of Python use, and offer Web presentation of your work.

    del.icio.us presents an intriguing approach to reference commentary.
    It already aggregates quite a bit of Python intelligence.
    http://del.icio.us/tag/python

    *Py: the Journal of the Python Language*
    http://www.pyzine.com

    Archive probing tricks of the trade:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python&num=100
    http://groups.google.com/groups?meta=site=groups&group=comp.lang.python.*

    Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are listed here:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=python-url group:comp.lang.python*&start=0&scoring=d&
    http://purl.org/thecliff/python/url.html (dormant)
    or
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=+Python-URL!&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python
    There is *not* an RSS for "Python-URL!"--at least not yet. Arguments
    for and against are occasionally entertained.

    Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.
    E-mail to <> should get through.

    To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday morning
    (approximately), ask <> to subscribe. Mention
    "Python-URL!". Write to the same address to unsubscribe.

    -- The Python-URL! Team--

    Phaseit, Inc. (http://phaseit.net) is pleased to participate in and
    sponsor the "Python-URL!" project. Watch this space for upcoming
    news about posting archives.

    Paul Boddie, Dec 18, 2006

  2. Paul Boddie

    Kay Schluehr Guest

    Paul Boddie wrote:

    > Meanwhile, the EuroPython planners get ahead of themselves, thinking about
    > conference venues as far in the future as 2010, if not 20010!

    Python 20010. It was a nice conference although a bit lame on the first
    day. My favourite talks were:

    Trevor Stent: "Whitespace as a universal constant"
    Mathais Fendro: "Snake gods and how they tamed chaons and simili"
    Taumaturg 7: "Technologia inversa. A short history of holistic
    semantics"

    There was also some interesting short talk about wormhole calculus.
    Unfortunetely I've forgotten the name of the lecturer. Maybe I was just
    too fascinated by his appeal as a small spinning bubble, shining in
    rainbow colors.

    Kay Schluehr, Dec 18, 2006

  3. "Kay Schluehr" <> wrote:

    > Paul Boddie wrote:
    >
    > > Meanwhile, the EuroPython planners get ahead of themselves, thinking

    about
    > > conference venues as far in the future as 2010, if not 20010!

    > Python 20010. It was a nice conference although a bit lame on the first
    > day. My favourite talks were:
    >
    > Trevor Stent: "Whitespace as a universal constant"
    > Mathais Fendro: "Snake gods and how they tamed chaons and simili"
    > Taumaturg 7: "Technologia inversa. A short history of holistic
    > semantics"
    >
    > There was also some interesting short talk about wormhole calculus.
    > Unfortunetely I've forgotten the name of the lecturer. Maybe I was just
    > too fascinated by his appeal as a small spinning bubble, shining in
    > rainbow colors.

    Lovely! - thanks for the update - I'm sorry I couldn't make it in time.

    - Hendrik

    Hendrik van Rooyen, Dec 19, 2006