Python usage numbers

Discussion in 'Python' started by Eric Snow, Feb 11, 2012.

  1. Eric Snow

    Eric Snow Guest

    Does anyone have (or know of) accurate totals and percentages on how
    Python is used? I'm particularly interested in the following
    groupings:

    - new development vs. stable code-bases
    - categories (web, scripts, "big data", computation, etc.)
    - "bare metal" vs. on top of some framework
    - regional usage

    I'm thinking about this partly because of the discussion on
    python-ideas about the perceived challenges of Unicode in Python 3.
    All the rhetoric, anecdotal evidence, and use-cases there have little
    meaning to me, in regards to Python as a whole, without an
    understanding of who is actually affected.

    For instance, if frameworks (like django and numpy) could completely
    hide the arguable challenges of Unicode in Python 3--and most projects
    were built on top of frameworks--then general efforts for making
    Unicode easier in Python 3 should go toward helping framework writers.

    Not only are such usage numbers useful for the Unicode discussion
    (which I wish would get resolved and die so we could move on to more
    interesting stuff :) ). They help us know where efforts could be
    focused in general to make Python more powerful and easier to use
    where it's already used extensively. They can show us the areas that
    Python isn't used much, thus exposing a targeted opportunity to change
    that.

    Realistically, it's not entirely feasible to compile such information
    at a comprehensive level, but even generally accurate numbers would be
    a valuable resource. If the numbers aren't out there, what would some
    good approaches to discovering them? Thanks!

    -eric

    Eric Snow, Feb 11, 2012