Python Usage Statistics

Discussion in 'Python' started by Anand Pillai, Aug 31, 2004.

  1. Anand Pillai

    Anand Pillai Guest

    Hi Folks

    (posting after a loooong time...)

    I have been contracted by an Indian publisher to author an
    introductory text book on Python. As a part of the introductory
    chapter, I thought it would be a good idea to present a number, a
    round-about figure on the approximate *actual* usage of Python out
    there in number of developers and/or installations.

    Scrounging the Web for such statistics is proving elusive. The PBF
    website seems to be the official place for these, but there also they
    just have listings of companies/instituitions using Python, not any
    numbers.

    Has anybody done an actual market survey anytime recently on
    Python usage in the software community? If so, where can I get access
    to this information? I would be more interested in the number of
    developers, both commercial/non-commercial who are doing development
    using Python. Since almost every Linux distro now a days contains
    Python by default, a number based on the installations could prove
    faulty.

    Have a nice day.

    -Anand
    Anand Pillai, Aug 31, 2004

  2. Eric S. Raymond made a comparison of language usage for projects
    published on sourceforge and freshmeat for his book "The Art of Unix
    Programming":
    http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/ch14s05.html#lang_usage
    Only covers opensource software and not uptodate anymore though.

    Benjamin Niemann, Aug 31, 2004

  3. Anand Pillai

    Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    Anand Pillai <> wrote:

    > I have been contracted by an Indian publisher to author an
    >introductory text book on Python. As a part of the introductory
    >chapter, I thought it would be a good idea to present a number, a
    >round-about figure on the approximate *actual* usage of Python out
    >there in number of developers and/or installations.

    This is extremely difficult; for example, Paint Shop Pro now uses Python
    as its macro language. How PSP users have become Python programmers? No
    idea.
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    "To me vi is Zen. To use vi is to practice zen. Every command is a
    koan. Profound to the user, unintelligible to the uninitiated. You
    discover truth everytime you use it."
    Aahz, Aug 31, 2004
  4. Anand Pillai

    Guest

    (Anand Pillai) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi Folks
    >
    > (posting after a loooong time...)
    >
    > I have been contracted by an Indian publisher to author an
    > introductory text book on Python. As a part of the introductory
    > chapter, I thought it would be a good idea to present a number, a
    > round-about figure on the approximate *actual* usage of Python out
    > there in number of developers and/or installations.

    See SkillMarket at http://mshiltonj.com/sm/categories/languages/ .
    Polling jobs listed at dice.com , the # of job openings by language on
    9/1/2004 were (in descending order)

    9216 sql
    7722 java
    5007 c++
    3351 vb
    2508 perl
    1804 assembly
    1723 c#
    905 cobol
    838 tech writer
    268 powerbuilder
    266 php
    225 cf (cold fusion)
    189 python
    150 fortran
    144 ada
    38 ruby
    , Sep 1, 2004
  5. Anand Pillai

    Jeff Shannon Guest

    wrote:

    > (Anand Pillai) wrote in message news:<>...
    >

    >>... I thought it would be a good idea to present a number, a
    >>round-about figure on the approximate *actual* usage of Python out
    >>there in number of developers and/or installations.
    >>

    >See SkillMarket at http://mshiltonj.com/sm/categories/languages/ .
    >Polling jobs listed at dice.com , the # of job openings by language on
    >9/1/2004 were (in descending order)

    But note that job openings don't necessarily accurately represent
    language *usage*, they only represent *unsatisfied demand* for
    competency in that language. One could argue, with some justification,
    that there's few job openings requesting programmers familiar with
    Python because a good programmer can become productive in Python so
    quickly -- why take months to hire a Python guy when an existing
    employee can *become* a Python guy in a couple weeks? It also doesn't
    reflect the usage of Python for small projects, incidental scripting
    tasks, etc., where there isn't a need for a full-time employee to be
    working on that particular project.

    Jeff Shannon
    Technician/Programmer
    Credit International