Python version of Net Peep?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Brad Clements, Jun 26, 2004.

  1. Hope this isn't too off topic.

    I recently read (in the past week) about The Network Auralizer (also known
    as Peep or Net Peep)

    http://www.auralizer.com:8080/peep

    (peep project on sf.net)

    """Peep is a network monitoring tool that represents network information via
    an audio interface. Network diagnostics are made not only based on single
    network events but whether the network sounds "normal". """

    I think in whatever blob or page I read, it mentioned another project that
    does a simiular thing that I have not been able to find.

    Anyway, I could not find the other project so proceeded to setup Peep from
    cvs. After a lot of screwing around (Fedora Core 2) and trying to learn
    some Perl (like, how to download from CPAN .. no clue!) I finally got it to
    make a bird sound.

    I have no more time to place with this software, but the concept is
    interesting. I have some questions.

    1. Has anyone used this software or a similar system on a regular basis? Is
    it just a "geeky neato idea" that isn't practidal in the long-run because
    it's annoying?

    2. Are there any other projects out there that do this and work better?

    3. I bet Python has all the parts we need to do this now.. Has anyone tried
    to do a similar project in Python (even if not finished) ?

    --
    Novell DeveloperNet Sysop #5

    _
    Brad Clements, Jun 26, 2004