    responding" (pinwheel of death) when I touch the vertical scrollbar.

    Thanks,

    John Velman

    John Velman, Nov 30, 2007

  2. > New to mac. I have leopard. What's the difference between python and
    > pythonw? So far (which isn't very far) I can't tell the difference.

    IIUC, pythonw is linked with the WindowManager library, so it can do
    GUI operations; python can't.

    > I have a small application using TKinter that I was working on under
    > Linux.

    X11 Tk or Aqua Tk? If Aqua Tk, this would contradict to my theory above.

    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin v. Löwis, Nov 30, 2007

  3. John Velman

    Ant Guest

    On Nov 30, 3:30 am, John Velman <> wrote:
    > New to mac. I have leopard. What's the difference between python and
    > pythonw? So far (which isn't very far) I can't tell the difference.
    >
    > I have a small application using TKinter that I was working on under
    > Linux. Both python and pythonw run it, but on both it "stops
    > responding" (pinwheel of death) when I touch the vertical scrollbar.

    On Windows, python runs in console mode (and pops up a console window
    if you're not executing the script from a console already), pythonw
    runs the script as a background process. I'd imagine that it is the
    same for the Mac, and I shouldn't think it has anything to do with
    your problem here.

    --
    Ant.

    Ant, Nov 30, 2007
  4. John Velman

    has Guest

    On 30 Nov, 06:16, "Martin v. Löwis" <> wrote:
    > > New to mac. I have leopard. What's the difference between python and
    > > pythonw? So far (which isn't very far) I can't tell the difference.

    > IIUC, pythonw is linked with the WindowManager library, so it can do
    > GUI operations; python can't.

    True for Python 2.3.x and earlier. This limitation went away in 2.4,
    however, and pythonw is now kept around solely for compatibility with
    older scripts that still refer to it.

    HTH

    has
    --