    few days and all i have been able to find is some old discussions with
    python developers talking about they will want one for the OS to be a
    success with them.

    Sean, Dec 22, 2010

  2. Sean

    Hidura Guest

    I am creating one, is on test, what kind of app do you want create?

    2010/12/22, Sean <>:
    > Anybody know where I can find a Python Development Environment in the
    > form of a web app for use with Chrome OS. I have been looking for a
    > few days and all i have been able to find is some old discussions with
    > python developers talking about they will want one for the OS to be a
    > success with them.

    Enviado desde mi dispositivo móvil

    Diego I. Hidalgo D.

    Hidura, Dec 23, 2010

  3. Sean

    Tim Harig Guest

    On 2010-12-22, Sean <> wrote:
    > Anybody know where I can find a Python Development Environment in the
    > form of a web app for use with Chrome OS. I have been looking for a
    > few days and all i have been able to find is some old discussions with
    > python developers talking about they will want one for the OS to be a
    > success with them.

    Personally, I think a web app based IDE would be ghastly; but, you might
    have a look at Mozilla Skywriter (formerly Bespin):

    https://mozillalabs.com/skywriter/

    Tim Harig, Dec 23, 2010
  4. Sean

    Hidura Guest

    Why grashtly?

    Hidura, Dec 23, 2010
  5. Sean

    Sean Guest

    I am wanting to learn python and I am test a Chrome OS notebook at the
    same time so I need something that will atleast tell me if I have any
    syntax errors. Although the more features the better that way learning
    is an easier experience.

    Sean, Dec 23, 2010
  6. Sean

    Sean Guest

    Forgot to point out that Chrome OS has no local storage accessable to
    the user. Hence why I need a web based solution.

    Sean, Dec 23, 2010
  7. Sean

    Hidura Guest

    Use editarea, that's the best option if you want something small, but
    as i said before i am developing a framework that allows you to create
    app's from the web and is much more complete than editarea.

    Hidura, Dec 23, 2010
  8. Sean

    Hidura Guest

    My framework let you store online on a hosting server that the same
    framework provide.

    Hidura, Dec 23, 2010
  9. Sean

    Tim Harig Guest

    [Reordered to preserve context in bottom posting]
    On 2010-12-23, Hidura <> wrote:
    > 2010/12/22, Tim Harig <>:
    >> On 2010-12-22, Sean <> wrote:
    >>> Anybody know where I can find a Python Development Environment in the
    >>> form of a web app for use with Chrome OS. I have been looking for a
    >>> few days and all i have been able to find is some old discussions with
    >>> python developers talking about they will want one for the OS to be a
    >>> success with them.

    >> Personally, I think a web app based IDE would be ghastly; but, you might
    >> have a look at Mozilla Skywriter (formerly Bespin):

    > Why grashtly?

    I don't personally think the web makes a good framework for highly
    interactive applications as they must work within the constraints of the
    browser and IDEs are highly interactive applications by their very nature.
    Perhaps HTML5/CSS3 will change things; but, standard DOM manipulation,
    as I am accustomed to seeing it, cannot generate the kind of rendering
    that is available from native applications. Attempts to do so end up being
    kludgy.

    It also cannot handle the kinds of desktop integrations that are common
    for native applications without opening up serious security trust issues.
    (Can everybody say ActiveX fiasco?)

    Finally, there are difficulties in handling keystrokes without conflicting
    with the browser's native key bindings. I seldom ever touch a mouse
    and I am a huge fan of vi, mutt, slrn, screen, ratpoison, etc. where
    the primary interface is totally accessable through the keyboard without
    having to tab through many options.

    Tim Harig, Dec 23, 2010
  10. Sean

    Hidura Guest

    Ok, but you are comparing a web-based framework with a native-based
    framework that use the components of the system to make all the things
    that need, a web-based framewok use the resourses of the browser to
    make it all, so the developer that use a framework on the web can't
    expect get the same results, in my case i beleive that a web-based
    framework adjust better to the needs if you'll make a web-app,
    otherwise use eclipse or netbeans.

    Hidura, Dec 23, 2010
  11. Sean

    Tim Harig Guest

    On 2010-12-23, Hidura <> wrote:
    > Ok, but you are comparing a web-based framework with a native-based
    > framework that use the components of the system to make all the things
    > that need, a web-based framewok use the resourses of the browser to

    Right. That is exactly what I am comparing.

    > make it all, so the developer that use a framework on the web can't
    > expect get the same results, in my case i beleive that a web-based

    Which is exactly the problem with web apps that are highly interactive. My
    suggestion, is not to develope a web based IDE or use one. It just isn't
    something that the web was designed to do well.

    > expect get the same results, in my case i beleive that a web-based
    > framework adjust better to the needs if you'll make a web-app,

    Most IDEs that are targeted at web developement have a built in web browser
    or strong integration with one to run the web app as you are developing it.
    I don't see any advantage or the necessity of actually running the IDE code
    itself in the browser.

    > otherwise use eclipse or netbeans.

    I would; but then, I wouldn't purchase an operating system that is entirely
    based on a web browser.

    Tim Harig, Dec 23, 2010
  12. >>>> Anybody know where I can find a Python Development Environment in the

    >>> Personally, I think a web app based IDE would be ghastly; but, you might
    >>> have a look at Mozilla Skywriter (formerly Bespin):

    >> Why grashtly?

    > I don't personally think the web makes a good framework for highly
    > interactive applications as they must work within the constraints of the
    > browser and IDEs are highly interactive applications by their very nature.
    > Perhaps HTML5/CSS3 will change things; but, standard DOM manipulation,
    > as I am accustomed to seeing it, cannot generate the kind of rendering
    > that is available from native applications. Attempts to do so end up being
    > kludgy.
    >
    > It also cannot handle the kinds of desktop integrations that are common
    > for native applications without opening up serious security trust issues.
    > (Can everybody say ActiveX fiasco?)

    So, in essence, you are predicting that google's chrome OS will be a
    failure, right?

    > Finally, there are difficulties in handling keystrokes without conflicting
    > with the browser's native key bindings. I seldom ever touch a mouse
    > and I am a huge fan of vi, mutt, slrn, screen, ratpoison, etc. where
    > the primary interface is totally accessable through the keyboard without
    > having to tab through many options.

    Well, implementing vi or other text based tools in the browser is
    trivial. I mean it will function in exactly the same way as a native
    vi.

    Cheers,
    Daniel

    Daniel Fetchinson, Dec 23, 2010
  13. From: "Daniel Fetchinson" <>

    >>> Why grashtly?

    >> I don't personally think the web makes a good framework for highly
    >> interactive applications as they must work within the constraints of the
    >> browser and IDEs are highly interactive applications by their very nature.
    >> Perhaps HTML5/CSS3 will change things; but, standard DOM manipulation,
    >> as I am accustomed to seeing it, cannot generate the kind of rendering
    >> that is available from native applications. Attempts to do so end up being
    >> kludgy.
    >>
    >> It also cannot handle the kinds of desktop integrations that are common
    >> for native applications without opening up serious security trust issues.
    >> (Can everybody say ActiveX fiasco?)

    > So, in essence, you are predicting that google's chrome OS will be a
    > failure, right?

    It will surely be. But it won't, because Google's monopoly in an important field will help it to promote that OS, not because that OS will be so great.

    >> Finally, there are difficulties in handling keystrokes without conflicting
    >> with the browser's native key bindings. I seldom ever touch a mouse
    >> and I am a huge fan of vi, mutt, slrn, screen, ratpoison, etc. where
    >> the primary interface is totally accessable through the keyboard without
    >> having to tab through many options.

    > Well, implementing vi or other text based tools in the browser is
    > trivial. I mean it will function in exactly the same way as a native
    > vi.

    Not exactly. Because not all the computer users can see, and the browsers don't offer the same accessibility features for screen readers as the standard GUIS.
    (And Google's software is very poor in this field anyway.)

    Octavian

    Octavian Rasnita, Dec 23, 2010
  14. Sean

    Tim Harig Guest

    On 2010-12-23, Daniel Fetchinson <> wrote:
    >> I don't personally think the web makes a good framework for highly
    >> interactive applications as they must work within the constraints of the
    >> browser and IDEs are highly interactive applications by their very nature.
    >> Perhaps HTML5/CSS3 will change things; but, standard DOM manipulation,
    >> as I am accustomed to seeing it, cannot generate the kind of rendering
    >> that is available from native applications. Attempts to do so end up being
    >> kludgy.
    >>
    >> It also cannot handle the kinds of desktop integrations that are common
    >> for native applications without opening up serious security trust issues.
    >> (Can everybody say ActiveX fiasco?)

    > So, in essence, you are predicting that google's chrome OS will be a
    > failure, right?

    No, most people are happy using web based email interfaces and never even
    know that native email clients exist. More is the pity.

    >> Finally, there are difficulties in handling keystrokes without conflicting
    >> with the browser's native key bindings. I seldom ever touch a mouse
    >> and I am a huge fan of vi, mutt, slrn, screen, ratpoison, etc. where
    >> the primary interface is totally accessable through the keyboard without
    >> having to tab through many options.

    > Well, implementing vi or other text based tools in the browser is
    > trivial. I mean it will function in exactly the same way as a native
    > vi.

    Not exactly. I occassionally use web based terminals (Ajaxterm, Anyterm,
    Shellinabox, etc) to access my systems. This works only partially since
    many of the keystrokes I use conflict with keystrokes that the browser
    uses or which cause signals that the browser either does not catch or does
    not pass on to be accessed by client side scripting. The terminals must
    therefore place buttons or synthetic keyboards on the screen to allow
    you to simulate the keystrokes. That kind of negates the advantages of
    keystrokes in the first place. It doesn't make fore a pleasant experience.

    Tim Harig, Dec 23, 2010
  15. Sean

    Katie T Guest

    On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 9:43 PM, Sean <> wrote:
    > Anybody know where I can find a Python Development Environment in the
    > form of a web app for use with Chrome OS. I have been looking for a
    > few days and all i have been able to find is some old discussions with
    > python developers talking about they will want one for the OS to be a
    > success with them.

    Your best bet is probably just to SSH to a *nix box and use something
    like vim or emacs. None of the web solutions are anywhere near acceptable.

    Katie
    --
    CoderStack
    http://www.coderstack.co.uk/python-jobs

    Katie T, Dec 26, 2010
  16. Sean

    Sean Guest

    @Katie
    Thank you I considered this option until I realized it wouldn't let me
    do anything other than ping from the command line.

    The rest of you all make valid points after doing a little more
    research on my own I found some really nice web based text editors but
    they didn't have any testing abilities which meant learning in that
    environment wasn't feasible in my opinion. I am inclined to agree that
    chrome OS will probably not do as well as they want it to but with the
    kind of capital Google has they could easily flood the market. In the
    end I wound up giving the notebook to my mom because all she really
    does is check her email and Facebook so it was perfect for her.

    Thank You for all the responses they were a great help with me testing
    the notebook.

    Sean, Dec 26, 2010