Python Win32 Extensions and Excel 2003. OL 11.0 Supported?

Mudcat

Howdy,

I could have sworn I downloaded a version of python win that supported
object library 11.0 at some point. However I just downloaded versions
204 and 203, and the highest version they have is OL 9.0.

Does anyone know if this is a mistake or if Excel 2003 isn't yet
supported with the extensions?

Thanks,
Marc

Steve Holden

Mudcat said:
Howdy,

I could have sworn I downloaded a version of python win that supported
object library 11.0 at some point. However I just downloaded versions
204 and 203, and the highest version they have is OL 9.0.

Does anyone know if this is a mistake or if Excel 2003 isn't yet
supported with the extensions?
I was under the impression that makepy just listed the libraries it
found on the system it ran on. Is this wrong?

regards
Steve

John Machin

I was under the impression that makepy just listed the libraries it
found on the system it ran on. Is this wrong?

This is my impression also.

Basis 1: Observation: E.g. client machine with Excel 2000: OL 9.0. My
machine: OL 10.0 and (no kidding) 5.0

Basis 2: Reductio ad a[db]surdum [1]: Where else would makepy be
getting its info from? Would we really expect pywin32 to have all the
info available to support all libraries ever used on any Windows
machine? How long would the download take? What would be the legal
implications of [re]distributing all that Microsoft-created stuff?

Cheers,
John

Note [1]: What's happened to the martellibot? Not a post for over 2
months! Who else will leap in and tell me which of adsurdum and
absurdum is better usage?

Mudcat

Yeah, yall are right. I did the same thing and found it pulling
different versions depending on which system I was on.

However I was confused because I tried to use an older version of
python win with Excel 2003 a couple of years ago, and it wouldn't work.
Somehow it couldn't handle OL 11.0. So I figured there must be a
connection in there somewhere that allows it to understand.

But as I sit here and type I'm wondering if this had more to do with
freezing the application which is what I was doing. I may have been
sending a compiled version of makepy (which back then was genpy) which
was compiled under an Office 2000 machine trying to get it to work on
an Office 2003 machine.

Now I could have sworn that at some point I removed the contents of the
genpy directory in the package I sent out, which would force each
machine to build one before it ran. But this was a problem I ran into
early and was told to not worry about at the time. Now I have to worry
about it more.

Anyone else have to package builds of com applications that need to be
supported on different versions of Office? A few tips on how to make
that run smoother would be some sweet info.

John Machin

Anyone else have to package builds of com applications that need to be
supported on different versions of Office? A few tips on how to make
that run smoother would be some sweet info.

You'll probably do better if you ask the pywin32-specific mailing
list.

(e-mail address removed)

In fact, if you're so heavily into COM, you should consider
subscribing to the list.

Cheers,
John