    supported with the extensions?

    Thanks,
    Marc
    Mudcat, Apr 20, 2005

  2. Mudcat

    Steve Holden Guest

    Mudcat wrote:
    > Howdy,
    >
    > I could have sworn I downloaded a version of python win that supported
    > object library 11.0 at some point. However I just downloaded versions
    > 204 and 203, and the highest version they have is OL 9.0.
    >
    > Does anyone know if this is a mistake or if Excel 2003 isn't yet
    > supported with the extensions?

    I was under the impression that makepy just listed the libraries it
    found on the system it ran on. Is this wrong?

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 703 861 4237 +1 800 494 3119
    Steve Holden, Apr 20, 2005

  3. Mudcat

    John Machin Guest

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 13:05:54 -0400, Steve Holden <>
    wrote:

    >Mudcat wrote:
    >> Howdy,
    >>
    >> I could have sworn I downloaded a version of python win that supported
    >> object library 11.0 at some point. However I just downloaded versions
    >> 204 and 203, and the highest version they have is OL 9.0.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if this is a mistake or if Excel 2003 isn't yet
    >> supported with the extensions?
    >>

    >I was under the impression that makepy just listed the libraries it
    >found on the system it ran on. Is this wrong?

    This is my impression also.

    Basis 1: Observation: E.g. client machine with Excel 2000: OL 9.0. My
    machine: OL 10.0 and (no kidding) 5.0

    Basis 2: Reductio ad a[db]surdum [1]: Where else would makepy be
    getting its info from? Would we really expect pywin32 to have all the
    info available to support all libraries ever used on any Windows
    machine? How long would the download take? What would be the legal
    implications of [re]distributing all that Microsoft-created stuff?

    Cheers,
    John

    Note [1]: What's happened to the martellibot? Not a post for over 2
    months! Who else will leap in and tell me which of adsurdum and
    absurdum is better usage?
    John Machin, Apr 20, 2005
  4. Mudcat

    Mudcat Guest

    Yeah, yall are right. I did the same thing and found it pulling
    different versions depending on which system I was on.

    However I was confused because I tried to use an older version of
    python win with Excel 2003 a couple of years ago, and it wouldn't work.
    Somehow it couldn't handle OL 11.0. So I figured there must be a
    connection in there somewhere that allows it to understand.

    But as I sit here and type I'm wondering if this had more to do with
    freezing the application which is what I was doing. I may have been
    sending a compiled version of makepy (which back then was genpy) which
    was compiled under an Office 2000 machine trying to get it to work on
    an Office 2003 machine.

    Now I could have sworn that at some point I removed the contents of the
    genpy directory in the package I sent out, which would force each
    machine to build one before it ran. But this was a problem I ran into
    early and was told to not worry about at the time. Now I have to worry
    about it more.

    Anyone else have to package builds of com applications that need to be
    supported on different versions of Office? A few tips on how to make
    that run smoother would be some sweet info.
    Mudcat, Apr 21, 2005
  5. Mudcat

    John Machin Guest

    On 21 Apr 2005 09:13:52 -0700, "Mudcat" <> wrote:

    >Anyone else have to package builds of com applications that need to be
    >supported on different versions of Office? A few tips on how to make
    >that run smoother would be some sweet info.

    You'll probably do better if you ask the pywin32-specific mailing
    list.

    In fact, if you're so heavily into COM, you should consider
    subscribing to the list.

    Cheers,
    John
    John Machin, Apr 21, 2005