Python Windows 2.3 Installer problems

Timothy Martens

When I run the Python-2.3.exe on my WIN2K box and go through the initial
dialogues, the installer frezes at 1% when it's "Copying File
C:\Python23\UNWISE.exe"

Any ideas ANYONE?

tim.

Christopher Koppler

When I run the Python-2.3.exe on my WIN2K box and go through the initial
dialogues, the installer frezes at 1% when it's "Copying File
C:\Python23\UNWISE.exe"

Any ideas ANYONE?

Well, can't really pinpoint anything, as on my Win2K SP4 it works just
fine. Others have already pointed out the obvious candidates antivirus
and firewall software, as well as re-downloading (have you checked the
MD5 checksum? If not, google for md5sum.exe, and try that (the
checksum is at the bottom of the download page), it may be that your
download was corrupted, and your re-download came from your ISP's
cache and so was corrupted too).

Apart from that I can only list everything that made problems in my
earlier life as a sysadmin/network tech, in increasing order of
unlikeliness:
Have you tried it on a different computer, if you have access to one?
Have you tried to disable everything, and I mean everything that
Windows loads at startup time? Have you checked the harddisk? Have you
defragmented your harddisk? Have you tried removing unnecessary (for
Python) hardware, like TV cards, scanners, etc. As a last resort, have
you tried to reinstall Windows, and the SP, and then Python before
anything else?

--Christopher

John J. Lee

Timothy Martens said:
When I run the Python-2.3.exe on my WIN2K box and go through the
initial dialogues, the installer frezes at 1% when it's "Copying File
C:\Python23\UNWISE.exe"

Any ideas ANYONE?

Actually, thinking about it, *don't* report a bug on SF until you've
checked any antivirus software (and the other stuff Christopher
mentioned, I guess).

John