    there anywhere I can download the source already compiled. All I
    really want is to be able to compile PIL.

    Thanks Joey

    Paradox, Sep 30, 2003

  2. Joey> This seems like a simple question but I keep looking and can't
    Joey> seem to find it anywhere. Do I have to check it out directly from
    Joey> CVS. Is there anywhere I can download the source already
    Joey> compiled. All I really want is to be able to compile PIL.

    I don't believe there is a distribution which contains object files
    (compiled, but not yet linked). You can get the Python source code from
    here:

    http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.3.1/Python-2.3.1.tgz

    (that's a gzipp'ed tar file), or the Windows binary installer from here:

    http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.3.1/Python-2.3.1.exe

    There is nothing in between.

    Skip

    Skip Montanaro, Sep 30, 2003

  3. Paradox wrote:
    > This seems like a simple question but I keep looking and can't seem to
    > find it anywhere. Do I have to check it out directly from CVS. Is
    > there anywhere I can download the source already compiled. All I
    > really want is to be able to compile PIL.

    If you want to compile an extension like PIL on Windows, then everything
    needed is part of the normal installer. Assuming you installed Python to
    c:\Python23, then you'll need the include files at c:\Python23\include
    and the import library at c:\Python23\libs\python23.lib.

    Daniel

    Daniel Dittmar, Sep 30, 2003