Python/wxPython Reducing memory usage.

lotmr

I have previously posted a simple app I am working on, and while I love
python and wxWindows, after checking the memory usage on such a simple
app (system try application launcher) I see that it climbs to over
17mb! I have reduced all my imports to the bare workable minimum and
that just gets it under 17mb. Is there any way that I could compile or
optimize the my program and/or its memory usage?
(Note: I don't have a problem with making this program win32 specific,
as it already is only win32)

CODE:
#this section broken down soley for readability, normally one line
from wxPython.wx import wxMessageDialog,wxFrame,wxMenu,
wxBitmap,wxOK,wxID_ANY,wxID_EXIT,wxID_ABOUT,
wxBITMAP_TYPE_ICO,wxBITMAP_TYPE_PNG,wxMenuItem,
wxPySimpleApp,wxTaskBarIcon,wxIcon,EVT_TASKBAR_RIGHT_UP,EVT_MENU
#end

from os import startfile
from sys import exit

class MainWindow(wxFrame):
def OnAbout (self, event):
m = wxMessageDialog( self, " LUNCH Bar 0.1 \n"
" A launch bar written in Python using
wxWindows","About LUNCH", wxOK)
m.ShowModal()
m.Destroy
def OnExit (self, event):
self.tbi.Destroy()
exit()
def OnTrayRight (self, event):
self.PopupMenu(self.rhtmenu)
def OnLaunch (self, event):
print event.GetString()
path = 'D:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe'
startfile(path)
def __init__(self,parent,id,title):
wxID_FIREFOX = 1117
wxFrame.__init__(self,parent,wxID_ANY, title, size = (
200,100))
self.tbi = wxTaskBarIcon()
icon = wxIcon('package.ico',wxBITMAP_TYPE_ICO)
self.tbi.SetIcon(icon, '')
self.rhtmenu = wxMenu()
icon = wxBitmap(name = 'ffico.png', type = wxBITMAP_TYPE_PNG)
item = wxMenuItem(parentMenu = self.rhtmenu, id = wxID_FIREFOX,
text='Firefox')
item.SetBitmap(icon)
self.rhtmenu.Append(wxID_EXIT, "&Exit"," Terminate this program")
self.rhtmenu.Append(wxID_ABOUT, "&About"," Information about this
program")
self.rhtmenu.AppendSeparator()
self.rhtmenu.AppendItem(item)
EVT_TASKBAR_RIGHT_UP(self.tbi, self.OnTrayRight)
EVT_MENU(self, wxID_ABOUT, self.OnAbout)
EVT_MENU(self, wxID_EXIT, self.OnExit)
EVT_MENU(self, wxID_FIREFOX, self.OnLaunch)

appwin = wxPySimpleApp()
frame = MainWindow(None, -1, "Small editor")
appwin.MainLoop()

Joe

Is there any way that I could compile or optimize the my program and/or its memory usage?

.... and ideally, if we could also reduce the size of the DLL, so that
it would only include the widgets actually used, it'd be even nicer.
(Note: I don't have a problem with making this program win32 specific,
as it already is only win32)

I don't have much experience with it, but is the PythonWin wrapper to
MFC horrible to use as compared to wxWidgets? If it's good enough and
you don't care about non-Windows platforms, you'll probably save a lot
of RAM and file footprint.

Joe.