python27.exe vs python2.7.exe ...

Sridhar Ratnakumar

Hi,

As you may already know, ActivePython provides versioned Python executables that makes it possible to invoke a particular X.Y version from the command line directly if you have multiple Python versions on PATH. Eg:

C:\Python27\python26.exe
C:\Python27\python27.exe
C:\Python31\python31.exe

In the upcoming releases, we are considering to change this format to match the unix executables (with a 'dot' in it). Eg:

C:\Python27\python2.6.exe
C:\Python27\python2.7.exe
C:\Python31\python3.1.exe

The idea is to be able to invoke "python2.7 myscript.py" on both Unix and Windows.

Thoughts?

Because there is bin/python3 on unix (to separate it from the default 2.x interpreter) - it is perhaps a good idea to have "C:\Python31\python3.exe" as well.

-srid

John Nagle

[...]

Take a look at Debian's Python policy.

http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/ch-python.html

at "Interpreter Name". They've addressed this. Consistency would be
appreciated. Thank you.

John Nagle