Python3 Web Framework

Aman

Hey all... I just started with Python, and I chose Python3 because it
seemed a subtle choice as compared to doing Pthon 2.x now and then
porting to Python3.x later... I plan to start with Web Development
soon... I wanted to know what all web frameworks are available for
Python3... I heard the Django is still not compatible with 3.x... Any
idea guys?

Alice Bevan–McGregor

Hey all... I just started with Python, and I chose Python3 because it
seemed a subtle choice as compared to doing Pthon 2.x now and then
porting to Python3.x later... I plan to start with Web Development
soon... I wanted to know what all web frameworks are available for
Python3... I heard the Django is still not compatible with 3.x... Any
idea guys?

Python 3 has a number of issues with web development thus far: WSGI[1]
(PEP 333) isn't directly compatible with Python 3, for one.

However, PEP 3333 is looking good[2] for making web framework code
compatible with Python 3 without needing too much modification. I'm
not sure what the state of affairs is for PEP 3333 or Python 3
compatible frameworks, however. (CherryPy -might- be compatible, I can
not recall.)

Basically this means that using Python 3, you'll be "roughing it" for a while.

On the other hand, I'm working on PEP 444[3] (WSGI 2) and have a highly
performant web server compatible with Python 3 available[4] that is
compatible with PEP 444 as published on Python.org[5] (master branch)
and with my rewritten draft (draft branch, to be merged when my rewrite
is complete and published on Python.org). Another developer and I have
been working on the WebOb-style helper exceptions and wrappers, from
which a microframework can quickly spawn.

The HTTP server has 100% coverage (master) and near-100% coverage
(draft) and compatibility with Python 2.6+ and 3.1+.

Have a great day,

- Alice.

[1] http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0333/
[2] http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3333/
[3] http://bit.ly/e7rtI6
[4] http://bit.ly/fLfamO
[5] http://bit.ly/gmT17O

Martin v. Loewis

Am 31.12.2010 08:47, schrieb Aman:
Hey all... I just started with Python, and I chose Python3 because it
seemed a subtle choice as compared to doing Pthon 2.x now and then
porting to Python3.x later... I plan to start with Web Development
soon... I wanted to know what all web frameworks are available for
Python3... I heard the Django is still not compatible with 3.x... Any
idea guys?

You could try my port of Django to Py3k:

https://bitbucket.org/loewis/django-3k

Regards,
Martin

Robert

Evidence to back this statement up would be appreciated. ;)

- Alice.

- wsgiref now implements and validates PEP 3333, rather than an experimental
extension of PEP 333. (Note: earlier versions of Python 3.x may have
incorrectly validated some non-compliant applications as WSGI compliant; if
your app validates with Python <3.2b1+, but not on this version, it is likely
the case that your app was not compliant.)

That is from the changes file...so they are working to fix it all.

HTH