Python3

alexus

I wanted to try out new Python 3 on my system, so I did "make
fullinstall" and now as promised it broke every single program there
is that runs on my system that depends on Python.

is there a way to undo that? I've tried re-installing Python 2, yet
that didn't help me at all.

skip

alexus> I wanted to try out new Python 3 on my system, so I did "make
alexus> fullinstall" and now as promised it broke every single program
alexus> there is that runs on my system that depends on Python.

alexus> is there a way to undo that? I've tried re-installing Python 2,
alexus> yet that didn't help me at all.

The install targets for Python 3 explicitly don't create a symlink named
"python", so it's not obvious how you might have obliterated your Python 2
installation. You didn't provide any information about your environment
(Windows? Linux? Mac? Was Python 2 provided by your OS vendor or
installed by you?)

alexus

    alexus> I wanted to try out new Python 3 on my system, so I did "make
    alexus> fullinstall" and now as promised it broke every single program
    alexus> there is that runs on my system that depends on Python.

    alexus> is there a way to undo that? I've tried re-installing Python 2,
    alexus> yet that didn't help me at all.

The install targets for Python 3 explicitly don't create a symlink named
"python", so it's not obvious how you might have obliterated your Python 2
installation.  You didn't provide any information about your environment
(Windows?  Linux?  Mac?  Was Python 2 provided by your OS vendor or
installed by you?)

sorry, for not providing all information at the first place, here it
is:

enviroment: FreeBSD j.jothost.com 7.0-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-
p7 #6: Wed Dec 24 15:58:06 EST 2008 (e-mail address removed):/usr/obj/
usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

I installed both of Python 2 and Python 3 via source code (compile
them myself)

skip

alexus> enviroment: FreeBSD j.jothost.com 7.0-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-
alexus> p7 #6: Wed Dec 24 15:58:06 EST 2008 (e-mail address removed):/usr/obj/
alexus> usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

alexus> I installed both of Python 2 and Python 3 via source code
alexus> (compile them myself)

Where was Python 2 installed? /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin or somewhere else?
What was the --prefix arg to configure when building Python 3?

alexus

    alexus> enviroment: FreeBSD j.jothost.com 7.0-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-
    alexus> p7 #6: Wed Dec 24 15:58:06 EST 2008     (e-mail address removed):/usr/obj/
    alexus> usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

    alexus> I installed both of Python 2 and Python 3 via source code
    alexus> (compile them myself)

Where was Python 2 installed?  /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin or somewhere else?
What was the --prefix arg to configure when building Python 3?

both of them were default --prefix, so I assume --prefix=/usr/local/

su-3.2# whereis python
python: /usr/local/bin/python /usr/ports/lang/python
su-3.2# /usr/local/bin/python --version
Python 2.6.1
su-3.2#

it's shows like 2.6.1 is there, yet when I ran "trac-admin", I get

su-3.2# trac-admin
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/bin/trac-admin", line 5, in <module>
from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
ImportError: No module named pkg_resources
su-3.2#