    is that runs on my system that depends on Python.

    is there a way to undo that? I've tried re-installing Python 2, yet
    that didn't help me at all.

    alexus, Jan 4, 2009

  2. alexus

    Guest

    alexus> I wanted to try out new Python 3 on my system, so I did "make
    alexus> fullinstall" and now as promised it broke every single program
    alexus> there is that runs on my system that depends on Python.

    alexus> is there a way to undo that? I've tried re-installing Python 2,
    alexus> yet that didn't help me at all.

    The install targets for Python 3 explicitly don't create a symlink named
    "python", so it's not obvious how you might have obliterated your Python 2
    installation. You didn't provide any information about your environment
    (Windows? Linux? Mac? Was Python 2 provided by your OS vendor or
    installed by you?)

    --
    Skip Montanaro - - http://smontanaro.dyndns.org/

    , Jan 4, 2009

  3. alexus

    alexus Guest

    On Jan 4, 4:23 pm, wrote:
    >     alexus> I wanted to try out new Python 3 on my system, so I did "make
    >     alexus> fullinstall" and now as promised it broke every single program
    >     alexus> there is that runs on my system that depends on Python.
    >
    >     alexus> is there a way to undo that? I've tried re-installing Python 2,
    >     alexus> yet that didn't help me at all.
    >
    > The install targets for Python 3 explicitly don't create a symlink named
    > "python", so it's not obvious how you might have obliterated your Python 2
    > installation.  You didn't provide any information about your environment
    > (Windows?  Linux?  Mac?  Was Python 2 provided by your OS vendor or
    > installed by you?)
    >
    > --
    > Skip Montanaro - -http://smontanaro.dyndns.org/

    sorry, for not providing all information at the first place, here it
    is:

    enviroment: FreeBSD j.jothost.com 7.0-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-
    p7 #6: Wed Dec 24 15:58:06 EST 2008 :/usr/obj/
    usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

    I installed both of Python 2 and Python 3 via source code (compile
    them myself)

    alexus, Jan 4, 2009
  4. alexus

    Guest

    alexus> enviroment: FreeBSD j.jothost.com 7.0-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-
    alexus> p7 #6: Wed Dec 24 15:58:06 EST 2008 :/usr/obj/
    alexus> usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

    alexus> I installed both of Python 2 and Python 3 via source code
    alexus> (compile them myself)

    Where was Python 2 installed? /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin or somewhere else?
    What was the --prefix arg to configure when building Python 3?

    , Jan 4, 2009
  5. alexus

    alexus Guest

    On Jan 4, 4:46 pm, wrote:
    >     alexus> enviroment: FreeBSD j.jothost.com 7.0-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-
    >     alexus> p7 #6: Wed Dec 24 15:58:06 EST 2008     :/usr/obj/
    >     alexus> usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
    >
    >     alexus> I installed both of Python 2 and Python 3 via source code
    >     alexus> (compile them myself)
    >
    > Where was Python 2 installed?  /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin or somewhere else?
    > What was the --prefix arg to configure when building Python 3?

    both of them were default --prefix, so I assume --prefix=/usr/local/

    su-3.2# whereis python
    python: /usr/local/bin/python /usr/ports/lang/python
    su-3.2# /usr/local/bin/python --version
    Python 2.6.1
    su-3.2#

    it's shows like 2.6.1 is there, yet when I ran "trac-admin", I get

    su-3.2# trac-admin
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/local/bin/trac-admin", line 5, in <module>
    from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
    ImportError: No module named pkg_resources
    su-3.2#

    alexus, Jan 4, 2009