Pythonic cross-platform GUI desingers à la

Chris Angelico

The point is, that if you want to promote Python as replacement
for e.g. VB, Labview etc., then an easy-to-use GUI builder is required.
The typical GUI programs will just have an input mask, a button and one
or two output fields.

I want to promote Linux as a replacement for Windows. But I do not see
that Linux needs to be able to run Internet Explorer in order to do
that. Maybe when people move to a replacement, they need to learn a
slightly different way of doing things; and in this case, I would
strongly recommend the "build your UI in code" method.

ChrisA

Albert van der Horst

I looked it up.

What you find ugly, I find unconfusing and clear.
If I compare it to usual on the web, it is the difference
between a waterfall side and an airport where the personell
is on strike. (Oh the noise, the noise is unbearable!).
I have not, nor intend to write gui things in Python,
I just give an impression.

[ I want my gui's to be functional, not beautiful. ]

Groetjes Albert

Terry Reedy

I looked it up.

What you find ugly, I find unconfusing and clear.

Kevin Walzer is a tk expert. Perhaps you missing the sarcastic irony in
what he intended to be a refutation of Wolfgang Keller's comment ;-).

8

88888 Dihedral

Albert van der Horstæ–¼ 2012å¹´6月22日星期五UTC+8下åˆ11時53分01秒寫é“:

--

I suggest you can use Python with QT to build some GUI and C++ with QT
for similar jobs of the commercial versions in order to test the tools.

Nowadays the GUI part is so cheap to build with so manny code generation tools, it is not the same as in the years before 2000.

rusi

Interesting! I definitely fall nicely at one extreme of this
dichotomy.  Every time I've tried to use an IDE, it's made me feel
inadequate and I've quickly retreated to my comfort zone (emacs +
xterm).

Here is a more recent discussion in the same vein:
http://henrikwarne.com/2012/06/17/programmer-productivity-emacs-versus-intellij-idea/

Reddited here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/programming...mmer_productivity_emacs_versus_intellij_idea/
I felt inadequate because I felt like the IDE was hindering
me rather than helping me.  All I ask from the program that I use to
write code is:

* syntax highlighting
* sensible auto-indenting
* as little reliance on the mouse as possible
* emacs key bindings :)

To some extent the new article just confirms the old Osteele one: viz.
Programmers stuck with java had better spend their time using the most
powerful tools to compensate for their inadequate language.

However it also indicates the opposite:
Benefits of sophisticated refactoring support are almost certainly
underestimated by users of vi/emacs.
This article makes me feel more positive about my inability to feel
comfortable in an IDE.  Thanks for the link!