PYTHONPATH not working on Windows XP (?)

Sergio Correia

Hi,

I'm trying to add a personal folder to the path used by python in
searching for packages and modules. This folder, "C:\docs\utils" , has
some packages not yet ready for "site-packages".

First, I tried sys.path.append("C:\docs\utils") BUT this only lasts
for the current python session.

Then, I read about PYTHONPATH and went to Control Panel - System -
Advanced - Enviromental Variables, and created a new variable
(PYTHONPATH) containing the folder. However, sys.path does not detects
it.. keeps printing the same old files:

['C:\\Program Files\\AutoHotkey',
'C:\\Program Files\\Python25\\Lib\\idlelib',
'C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\python25.zip',
'C:\\Program Files\\Python25\\DLLs',
'C:\\Program Files\\Python25\\lib',
'C:\\Program Files\\Python25\\lib\\plat-win',
'C:\\Program Files\\Python25\\lib\\lib-tk',
'C:\\Program Files\\Python25',
'C:\\Program Files\\Python25\\lib\\site-packages']

(By the way, how did that AutoHotkey folder got there? Can I remove it
from sys.path?)

After my second failure, I went to the registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\2.5\PythonPath

and added my folder there. Still nothing on sys.path , and my imports fail.

Any suggestions for adding my path to sys.path permanently? I'm
running out of ideas

Thanks,
Sergio

olivier

Hi,
Any suggestions for adding my path to sys.path permanently?

You can write a file in Lib/site-packages with a 'pth' extension (the
name itself doesn't matter) containing the path you want to add.

Example:
MyCustomLib.pth:
C:/docs/utils

And be careful with path separator on win32. It should be "/" or "\\",
never "\".

Regards,

Olivier

Sergio Correia

Thanks!

It worked straightforward, and it's easier than messing with the
enviromental variables or the registry.

BTW, I'm still wondering how did Autohotkey got included in sys.path
(there are no other .pht files on my PC)

Regards,
Sergio