Python's popularity

Steve Holden

walterbyrd wrote:
[...]>> Fooled by version numbers ?
No, but I am giving django the benefit of the doubt. The django
project told people all along that django was not to be considered
production ready before 1.0. I will accept that some people decided to
wait until 1.0 came out to do any production development. Maybe django
is only lagging because 1.0 just came out?
The Django people said no such thing. They maintained the trunk as
stable - they test so well that many people did indeed rely on the trunk
for production systems.

They did, sensibly in my opinion, refuse to promise that the 1.0 release
would be backward-compatible with the development versions. Indeed they
frequently changed the trunk in incompatible ways while they were
working to find the best APIs, and this only affected those brave or
stupid enough to update their Django installation automatically as
checkins were made. Anyone would expect trouble doing that, and yet the
affected sites were usually easily fixed, thanks to the project's
conscientious maintenance of a list of incompatible changes.
Not knowing much about RoR: yes, I wonder why? Is it because python
has a cleaner syntax? Or what?

It's because he decided that Django was the best tool for the particular
job, making him unusually open-minded for a member of the pointy-haired
species. Unlike some on this list he doesn't let his prejudices blind
him to reality.

regards
Steve

Steve Holden

r said:
[Jeff]
but I raise the bar so that any random joker probably won't bother
(and making the reverse mapping - knowing my real identity and then
looking for recent net activity - is much more difficult to do)
[/Jeff]

You are the epitimy of an internet troll. A troll tries to hide his
identity. Why are you so concerned about your TRUE identity. Are the
FEDS after you, maybe it's the Martians i do not know? Did they take
into their spaceship and do things to you? Do you wear a aluminum foil
hat. Look out for those cell towers, there mind control devices
hahaha. Thanks for the good laugh.

Pot, meet kettle. Kettle: pot.

Tommy Grav

It's pre-installed on every Mac (both desktop and laptop), too.

Mac and a lot of linux distros use python as an integral part of their
OS development, so most of these actually come with some python
pre-installed (and one should not remove it unless you want to screw
up your OS).

Cheers
Tommy

And about 9,000th place for useful information.

I think you missed my point Steven, I was in no way proud of the fact
of my 9th place rating. It just proves my point to the small following
of this group. And frankly makes me feel bad.

Ben Kaplan

I think you missed my point Steven, I was in no way proud of the fact
of my 9th place rating. It just proves my point to the small following
of this group. And frankly makes me feel bad.

That's just because most of us don't say anything unless we have
something useful to say. We prefer to let the experts answer the
questions, but we read the threads so we can benefit from them. Steven
was pointing out that the number of posts you made has nothing to do
with the overall audience of this list or how much real content you
are contributing

That's just because most of us don't say anything unless we have
something useful to say. We prefer to let the experts answer the
questions, but we read the threads so we can benefit from them.

OK Ben, So you are saying

1.) do not question the gods!
2.) speak only when spoken to!
3.) do not have an opinion!

Somehow this reminds me of some old and brainwashing religions, Not an
OSS project. Just observations Ben.

Rhodri James

IIRC, Python came pre-installed on my IBM Thinkpad. However,
it wasn't anyplace the average user would stumble across it...

The suggestively named "IBMTOOLS" directory, I believe :)

Hendrik van Rooyen

r said:
The writing is on the Wall!

Yes it is, and as always, it says :

Mene, mene, tekel epharsim.

If my protestant upbringing hasn't failed me,
it means:

Weighed, and found wanting.

- Hendrik

Hendrik van Rooyen

r said:
Now thats the kind of friendly banter this group could use. Instead of
people acting as if their bowel-movements smell like bakery fresh
cinnamon rolls!

What an amazing thing to say!

Doesn't yours?

- Hendrik

Arnaud Delobelle

If you look back at the Tour de France results from the 80's I
believe Greg Lemond won it one year without ever winning a stage.

Well I think it was actually in 1990, his last win sadly.

Bruno Desthuilliers

Steve Holden a écrit :
walterbyrd wrote:
[...]>> Fooled by version numbers ?
No, but I am giving django the benefit of the doubt. The django
project told people all along that django was not to be considered
production ready before 1.0. I will accept that some people decided to
wait until 1.0 came out to do any production development. Maybe django
is only lagging because 1.0 just came out?
The Django people said no such thing. They maintained the trunk as
stable - they test so well that many people did indeed rely on the trunk
for production systems.

Indeed - my first Django app has been in production for more than 3
years now.

(snip)

It's because he decided that Django was the best tool for the particular
job, making him unusually open-minded for a member of the pointy-haired
species.

Being a CTO doesn't necessarily makes you pointy-haired !-) We're a
small shop (12 peoples), and the guy is a developper too (and yes, an
active one).
Unlike some on this list he doesn't let his prejudices blind
him to reality.

Yes - that was the point.

Lie Ryan

OK Ben, So you are saying

1.) do not question the gods!

Hmmm... when we talk about something we don't know, only trash would come
out of our mouth.
2.) speak only when spoken to!

He (Ben) does not say anything remotely like that.
3.) do not have an opinion!

Again, you're adding sauce, meat, beef, and spices to his statement.
Somehow this reminds me of some old and brainwashing religions, Not an
OSS project. Just observations Ben.

Isn't it you that have been accused of religionizing python by many
people in this list?

Thorsten Kampe

* r (Mon, 22 Dec 2008 10:44:32 -0800 (PST))>
Steve Holden
What makes you assume this is a zero-sum game, and that Python won't
survive if any other language becomes popular. Every language borrows
from those that came before it. Terms like "outright plagiarism" don't
encourage rational debate, and make you seem like a troll who is more
interested in stirring up controversy than actually doing things to help
promote the language.

This is a war Steve, and i will explain why. Python does not need to
compete with perl, lisp, C, basic, etc, etc. WHY, well because python
is SO radically different than those languages. Ruby on the other
hand, took most from python, the only difference is Ruby's full OO
integration.(12.method()). Since Ruby is so similar to python [...]

You don't have a single clue about neither Python nor Ruby:
'According to the Ruby FAQ, "If you like Perl, you will like Ruby and be
right at home with its syntax. [...] If you like Python, you may or may
not be put off by the huge difference in design philosophy between
Python and Ruby/Perl."'[1]

Thorsten
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_(programming_language)#Semantics

Adrian Cherry

ups.com:
Oh Steve... Listen, my words are ment as a wake-up-call to
all who still love Python, and i believe you are one of
them. Maybe old age has slowed your hand, that's OK, Us
"youngsters" will take the helm. And be serious, do you
really think this group is read by "hundreds-of- thousands
of news readers? I wish it were, but I highly doubt it.

Thus spake the artilleryman from Horsell Common!

Adrian Cherry

* r (Mon, 22 Dec 2008 10:44:32 -0800 (PST))>
Steve Holden
This is a war Steve, and i will explain why. Python does not need to
compete with perl, lisp, C, basic, etc, etc. WHY, well because python
is SO radically different than those languages. Ruby on the other
hand, took most from python, the only difference is Ruby's full OO
integration.(12.method()). Since Ruby is so similar to python [...]

You don't have a single clue about neither Python nor Ruby:
'According to the Ruby FAQ, "If you like Perl, you will like Ruby and be
right at home with its syntax. [...] If you like Python, you may or may
not be put off by the huge difference in design philosophy between
Python and Ruby/Perl."'[1]

Thorsten
[1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_(programming_language)#Semantics

Thats "Thurstan", thank you very much! :)

je.s.te.r

r said:
You are the epitimy of an internet troll. A troll tries to hide his
identity. Why are you so concerned about your TRUE identity. Are the

I've already stated, and you've already proven, that it's pretty trivial
to ascertain my true identity, if one actually cares. OTOH, that's
*not* the case with you. Who is hiding now?