PythonWin, AutoDoc and german keyboards...

Discussion in 'Python' started by Werner Merkl, Mar 3, 2005.

  1. Werner Merkl

    Werner Merkl Guest

    Hallo,

    PythonWin is really great and like to use it all the time.

    But, I use to an us keyboard and get support strings (.__doc__).
    On the other side, most of my colleges use German keyboards and
    the do not get these strings at all.

    We are using:
    - Python 2.4
    - PyWin32 203

    Here is an example:
    -------------------

    When we enter range with us keyboard we get:
    >>> range(

    [range([start,] stop[, step]) -> list of integers]

    When we do this with German keyboard we get... nothing,

    except we enter:
    >>> range)

    [range([start,] stop[, step]) -> list of integers]

    You see, if we press ")" on German KB, which is "(" on us KB
    we get the help...

    BTW: Changes to Python24\Lib\site-packages\pythonwin\pywin\default.cfg
    didn't help.

    Is this a known issue?
    And is there a work around?
    Or do we have to take an other IDE like SPE?

    Thank you in advance
    Werner Merkl
    Werner Merkl, Mar 3, 2005

  2. Werner Merkl

    Neil Hodgson Guest

    Werner Merkl:

    > When we enter range with us keyboard we get:

    > [range([start,] stop[, step]) -> list of integers]
    >
    > When we do this with German keyboard we get... nothing,
    > BTW: Changes to Python24\Lib\site-packages\pythonwin\pywin\default.cfg
    > didn't help.

    It appears that the bindings are done by key code rather than character.
    You may be able to patch this up in pythonwin\pywin\scintilla\keycodes.py

    Neil
    Neil Hodgson, Mar 3, 2005