PythonWin

tkpmep

I have a Python program that collects user input using

msg = "Enter the full path and name of the file to be processed: "
answer = raw_input(msg)

If I run it in IDLE, the question is splashed across the execution
window, and if it is long, simply wraps to the next line. Most
importantly, it is intelligible, because I see the entire message. I
enter my answer on the next line, and once again, I can see the entire
path and file name, even if it is longer than long.

However, if I run it in ActivePython's PythonWin, a small message box
pops up, with hardly any space to diplay msg and a smallish space into
which I can type my answer. How can I force PythonWin to get its input
from the execution window or to enlarge its message box sufficiently to
display the entire question?

Thomas Philips

Colin J. Williams

I have a Python program that collects user input using

msg = "Enter the full path and name of the file to be processed: "
answer = raw_input(msg)

If I run it in IDLE, the question is splashed across the execution
window, and if it is long, simply wraps to the next line. Most
importantly, it is intelligible, because I see the entire message. I
enter my answer on the next line, and once again, I can see the entire
path and file name, even if it is longer than long.

However, if I run it in ActivePython's PythonWin, a small message box
pops up, with hardly any space to diplay msg and a smallish space into
which I can type my answer. How can I force PythonWin to get its input
from the execution window or to enlarge its message box sufficiently to
display the entire question?

Thomas Philips
You might try out the PythonWin from:

Build 203 is the current version, build 204 is expected.

Colin W.

Neil Hodgson

Thomas Philips:
However, if I run it in ActivePython's PythonWin, a small message
box pops up, with hardly any space to diplay msg and a smallish
space into which I can type my answer. How can I force PythonWin
to get its input from the execution window

You will have to implement the feature which looks to me like much
work which is why it wasn't done that way by default.
or to enlarge its message box sufficiently to display the entire
question?

The dialog is included as a binary resource in a DLL, win32ui.pyd.
You could get the source code, change the dialog resource and recompile
PythonWin. Another approach would be to manipulate the dialog and
control sizes after creation in pythonwin/pywin/mfc/dialog.py
GetSimpleInput().

Neil

Larry Bates

I have a Python program that collects user input using

msg = "Enter the full path and name of the file to be processed: "
answer = raw_input(msg)

If I run it in IDLE, the question is splashed across the execution
window, and if it is long, simply wraps to the next line. Most
importantly, it is intelligible, because I see the entire message. I
enter my answer on the next line, and once again, I can see the entire
path and file name, even if it is longer than long.

However, if I run it in ActivePython's PythonWin, a small message box
pops up, with hardly any space to diplay msg and a smallish space into
which I can type my answer. How can I force PythonWin to get its input
from the execution window or to enlarge its message box sufficiently to
display the entire question?

Thomas Philips
Take a look at the following sample program. It will allow you to
browse to the file that you want to open.

import win32ui
import sys
f=win32ui.CreateFileDialog(1, None, "*.txt", 0, 'Text Files|||')
x=f.SetOFNInitialDir("C:\\")
f.SetOFNTitle("Open Text File")
result=f.DoModal()
if result == win32con.IDCANCEL: sys.exit()
print "path selected=", f.GetPathName()
print "Filename selected=", f.GetFileName()

Hope it helps.

-Larry Bates