    How do you install or launch pythonwin??

    Thanks

    Clive

    Clive_S, May 9, 2008

  2. On 9 Maj, 12:30, Clive_S <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am trying to use Python with ArcGIS.
    >
    > I have installed Python 2.4. I have an icon for IDLE and command line.
    > I do not see Python PythonWin.
    >
    > How do you install or launch pythonwin??

    There is a distribution of PythonWin bundled with the
    ArcGIS Desktop installation media, but it is not
    installed by the ArcGIS installer.

    You have three options:
    1. Install it manually from the ArcGIS installation
    media.
    2. Find it on the web (google for it), download and
    install.
    3. (My recommendation) Don't bother. IDLE is pretty
    good. Emacs even better (unless you hate emacs).

    --
    Niklas Norrthon
    ESRI S-GROUP

    Niklas Norrthon, May 9, 2008

  3. Clive_S

    ivan Guest

    Not related (except that it is about python and ArcGIS): Remember you
    can set PYTHONINSPECT to enter interactive mode at the end of a
    script. With a script set as an ArcGIS tool, you can then enter
    interactive to play around or debug with all the ArcGIS stuff loaded.

    Is there a better way people do this?

    Ivan

    ivan, May 9, 2008
  4. On May 9, 5:30 am, Clive_S <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am trying to use Python with ArcGIS.
    >
    > I have installed Python 2.4. I have an icon for IDLE and command line.
    > I do not see Python PythonWin.
    >
    > How do you install or launch pythonwin??
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Clive

    I have PythonWin installed in my Start Menu --> Programs --> Python
    2.5. I may have installed the ActiveState version though. Just check
    if it's there on your system and if not, you can follow Niklas's
    advice.

    Mike

    Mike Driscoll, May 9, 2008
  5. Clive_S

    Clive_S Guest

    Hi all

    I downloaded (from Python) and installed python-2.4.4.msi

    I have python and pythonw.exe in the Python 24 folder (but not in my
    start menu).
    When I click on the pythonw.exe it is not launched??

    Thanks

    Clive

    Clive_S, May 9, 2008
  6. You need to install the same version on your pc, if you have 2.5 already installed you need to download 2.5 pythonwin from http://sourceforge.net

    Hope it will work for you.
    Thanks
    sk

    Ahmed, Shakir, May 9, 2008
  7. En Fri, 09 May 2008 10:40:38 -0300, Clive_S <> escribió:

    > I downloaded (from Python) and installed python-2.4.4.msi
    >
    > I have python and pythonw.exe in the Python 24 folder (but not in my
    > start menu).
    > When I click on the pythonw.exe it is not launched??

    pythonw.exe is NOT PythonWin - it's a consoleless version of the standard Python interpreter.
    PythonWin is part of the pywin32 package that you can download from https://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/ (make sure you get the right version)

    --
    Gabriel Genellina

    Gabriel Genellina, May 9, 2008
  8. On May 9, 9:02 am, "Gabriel Genellina" <> wrote:
    > En Fri, 09 May 2008 10:40:38 -0300, Clive_S <> escribió:
    >
    > > I downloaded (from Python) and installed python-2.4.4.msi

    > > I have python and pythonw.exe in the Python 24 folder (but not in my
    > > start menu).
    > > When I click on the pythonw.exe it is not launched??

    > pythonw.exe is NOT PythonWin - it's a consoleless version of the standard Python interpreter.
    > PythonWin is part of the pywin32 package that you can download fromhttps://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/(make sure you get the right version)
    >
    > --
    > Gabriel Genellina

    Ah. That's where I got it. Sorry for promulgating my own confusion!

    Mike

    Mike Driscoll, May 9, 2008