pyvm source code

stelios xanthakis

Hi.

pyvm is a program that can run python 2.4 bytecode.
It can also run the bytecode of the 'pyc compiler' and
consequently it can run python source code.

It's written from the scratch and it has only been
tested on a x86/Linux system. It's not portable yet,
neither ready for the simple user, not to mention that
gcc >= 3.4 is required to compile it :)

What's good about it is that it's small and easier to
hack and write large scale programs using pyvm as the
base runtime. On the other hand, pyvm is not compatible
with python and AFAIC there is no plan doing this as
a hobby.

The source code is available under LGPL at:

http://students.ceid.upatras.gr/~sxanth/pyvm/

Enjoy,

Stelios

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

EleSSaR^ said:
I'm sorry I don't get it. Could you please explain it better? What are the
advantages of this pyvm compared to the 'original' Python?

I think he said it: it's small(er) and easier to hack. He also
says it is easier to write large-scale programs with it than
with CPython, but I find that hard to believe.

Whether "small and easy to hack" has any value to you depends
on whether you ever wanted to hack a virtual machine.

Regards,
Martin

EleSSaR^

stelios xanthakis si è profuso/a a scrivere su comp.lang.python tutte
queste elucubrazioni:
What's good about it is that it's small and easier to
hack and write large scale programs using pyvm as the
base runtime. On the other hand, pyvm is not compatible
with python and AFAIC there is no plan doing this as
a hobby.

I'm sorry I don't get it. Could you please explain it better? What are the
advantages of this pyvm compared to the 'original' Python? Python is
available on x86-linux, so it's not an additional platform. Maybe it's
faster? Has it got a smaller memory footprint? Or what?

--
Alan Franzoni <[email protected]>
-