pywin32 from network install

agostino.russo

I managed to make pywin32 work from a network installation (not really
hard work: a shared folder + copying some dlls + setting PYTHONPATH).
PythonWin amd COM seem to be working fine from the network install, BUT
when I need to pass PyTime to a COM object expecting a Date I get the
following error:

Python24\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 251, in
_ApplyTypes_
result = self._oleobj_.InvokeTypes(*(dispid, LCID, wFlags, retType,
argTypes) + args)
TypeError: Objects of type 'time' can not be converted to a COM VARIANT

Note 1: The same code works when using the local installation of
python/pywin, it only happens when executing the code from a network
"installation".

Note 2: As mentioned other COM components seem to be working when
running them via pywin from the network install

Note 3: I am passing pywintipes.Time(datetime.datetime.today()) to a
COM object method which expects a Date argument.

Do I need to change some environment variable/registry settings/other
hack to fix this?

Neil Benn

[...]

Simply moving the win32 install and setting the python path isn't all
you need to do to get a network install working. In addition, you need
to remove the win32 from your local install (or piss around with
sys.path to strip out those local references) as that will automatically
be included. In addition, there is a registry setting you need to
delete which automagically adds to the python path - it's in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

That's probably won't solve your problem but it's somethng to be
aware of anyways.

Neil

--

Neil Benn
Senior Automation Engineer

Tel : +49 (0)351 4173 154
e-mail : (e-mail address removed)

agostino.russo

Hmm I have the same problem using python -E... Moreover I do not see
anything strange in the sys.path (Z\LocalApps is my shared folder):

'Z:\\LocalApps\\examples',
'Z:\\LocalApps\\python\\python24.zip',
'Z:\\LocalApps\\examples',
'Z:\\LocalApps\\python\\DLLs',
'Z:\\LocalApps\\python\\lib',
'Z:\\LocalApps\\python\\lib\\platwin',
'Z:\\LocalApps\\python\\lib\\libtk',
'Z:\\LocalApps\\python',
'Z:\\LocalApps\\python\\lib\\sitepackages',
'Z:\\LocalApps\\python\\lib\\sitepackages\\Numeric',
'Z:\\LocalApps',
'Z:\\LocalApps\\python\\lib\\sitepackages\\win32',
'Z:\\LocalApps\\python\\lib\\site-packages\\win3\\lib',
'Z:\\LocalApps\\python\\lib\\sitepackages\\Pythonwin', '
'Z:\\LocalApps\\python\\lib\\site-packages\\wx-2.6-mswansi'

BUT when the error is thrown out it is:

C:\Program
Files\Python24\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py...