PyXML and Python-2.6

Andrew MacKeith

The Python.org "SIG for XML Processing in Python" page indicates that
"The SIG, through the mailing list and the PyXML project hosted on
SourceForge...".

The PyXML project on SourceForge " is no longer maintained. ", so
perhaps the SIG page could be updated.

Is there a guide to porting projects that depend on PyXML to Python-2.6?

Andrew MacKeith

Paul Boddie

The Python.org "SIG for XML Processing in Python" page indicates that
"The SIG, through the mailing list and the PyXML project hosted on
SourceForge...".

The PyXML project on SourceForge " is no longer maintained. ", so
perhaps the SIG page could be updated.

I think the SIG pages should be migrated to the Wiki. There seems to
be some work proceeding on this:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/Special_Interest_Groups
Is there a guide to porting projects that depend on PyXML to Python-2.6?

You could start here:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonXml

Look under "W3C DOM-like libraries" for some candidates. I've
maintained libxml2dom for quite some time because I started out with
PyXML and wanted something whose maintenance was guaranteed, even if
it was me who was going to be doing it.

Paul

Stefan Behnel

Andrew said:
The Python.org "SIG for XML Processing in Python" page indicates that
"The SIG, through the mailing list and the PyXML project hosted on
SourceForge...".

The PyXML project on SourceForge " is no longer maintained. ", so
perhaps the SIG page could be updated.

Is there a guide to porting projects that depend on PyXML to Python-2.6?

Depending on how large your project is (and how well you encapsulated the
XML code), a partial rewrite using ElementTree or lxml might be worth it.
You'd be rewarded by simple and very fast code.

Stefan