    Nevertheless, when I click on the hyperlink to their exe file I get an error (in their programscreen) which says: File not found in line. No line number in Latijn2 at address 06EF:004A.
    I have Windows XP and Frontpage 2000
    What did I do wrong?
    Werner Godfroid, Nov 23, 2003

  2. Werner Godfroid

    Richard Guest

    Werner! wrote:

    > Hello to everyone

    > I'm trying to make a new schoolsite. My pupils, 12 year old, made some
    > Latin exercises in Qbasic, which I want to integrate in this site. Their
    > little program works well on my pc. No problem at all. Nevertheless, when
    > I click on the hyperlink to their exe file I get an error (in their
    > programscreen) which says: File not found in line. No line number in
    > Latijn2 at address 06EF:004A. I have Windows XP and Frontpage 2000
    > What did I do wrong?

    Avoid using html in text only groups please.

    Which version of Qbasic? If you have the earlier versions, which run in DOS
    only, there is no way you can run the program without being in DOS.
    If the file extension is "BAS", then you have the earlier version. If it is
    "EXE", then you have the oldest and have compiled the program.
    If you're expecting the files to run on the internet, that ain't gonna
    happen.
    It's not that you're doing anything wrong, it's just that you're expecting
    things to happen when they aren't going to.
    Richard, Nov 23, 2003

  3. Werner Godfroid

    rf Guest

    "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote in message
    > Werner! wrote:
    >
    > > Hello to everyone

    > > I'm trying to make a new schoolsite. My pupils, 12 year old, made some
    > > Latin exercises in Qbasic, which I want to integrate in this site.

    Their
    > > little program works well on my pc. No problem at all. Nevertheless,

    when
    > > I click on the hyperlink to their exe file I get an error (in their
    > > programscreen) which says: File not found in line. No line number in
    > > Latijn2 at address 06EF:004A. I have Windows XP and Frontpage 2000
    > > What did I do wrong?

    > Avoid using html in text only groups please.
    >
    > Which version of Qbasic? If you have the earlier versions, which run in

    DOS
    > only, there is no way you can run the program without being in DOS.
    > If the file extension is "BAS", then you have the earlier version. If it

    is
    > "EXE", then you have the oldest and have compiled the program.
    > If you're expecting the files to run on the internet, that ain't gonna
    > happen.
    > It's not that you're doing anything wrong, it's just that you're expecting
    > things to happen when they aren't going to.

    What on earth are you talking about?

    <quote>
    to their exe file I get an error (in their
    programscreen) which says: File not found in line. No line number in
    Latijn2 at address 06EF:004A
    </quote>

    I read two things into the quoted text above: 1) the OP has a .EXE (pretty
    bloody obvious) and 2) The program actually runs but produces an error
    message "in their programscreen". If the .EXE could not run then how could
    it produce an error message?

    Besides, it is quite in order to launch a DOS executable from within
    Windows. Windows just wraps it in a dos box. What do you think happens when
    you run ipconfig, which is a DOS program?

    Once again your information is totally incorrect and irrelevant.

    To the OP:

    The program is possibly looking for a file to read, probably in the current
    directory. When you run it from a link on a web page it is first downloaded
    into a temporary directory and executed from there. It is highly unlikely
    that the required file would be in that temporary directory.

    You may need to wrap the whole lot in an install process that builds a
    directory containing all the required files.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Nov 23, 2003
  4. rf wrote:

    > Besides, it is quite in order to launch a DOS executable from within
    > Windows. Windows just wraps it in a dos box. What do you think happens when
    > you run ipconfig, which is a DOS program?

    Actually, ipconfig is a Windows console program. Try running it in DOS
    (really in DOS -- not in a Windows shell) and it will say something like
    "This program requires Microsoft Windows".

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Nov 23, 2003
  5. Werner Godfroid

    rf Guest

    "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > rf wrote:
    >
    > > Besides, it is quite in order to launch a DOS executable from within
    > > Windows. Windows just wraps it in a dos box. What do you think happens

    when
    > > you run ipconfig, which is a DOS program?

    > Actually, ipconfig is a Windows console program. Try running it in DOS
    > (really in DOS -- not in a Windows shell) and it will say something like
    > "This program requires Microsoft Windows".

    You're right. Bad example.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Nov 23, 2003
  6. Werner Godfroid

    Richard Guest

    Toby! wrote:

    > rf wrote:

    >> Besides, it is quite in order to launch a DOS executable from within
    >> Windows. Windows just wraps it in a dos box. What do you think happens
    >> when you run ipconfig, which is a DOS program?

    That would be the DOS version of winipcfg, which is a windows based program.
    Opening ipconfig in windows gives you a momentary dos box then shuts down.

    Richard, Nov 23, 2003
  7. Richard wrote:

    > Toby! wrote:
    >
    >> rf wrote:

    >>> Besides, it is quite in order to launch a DOS executable from within
    >>> Windows. Windows just wraps it in a dos box. What do you think happens
    >>> when you run ipconfig, which is a DOS program?

    >> Actually, ipconfig is a Windows console program. Try running it in DOS
    >> (really in DOS -- not in a Windows shell) and it will say something like
    >> "This program requires Microsoft Windows".

    > That would be the DOS version of winipcfg, which is a windows based program.
    > Opening ipconfig in windows gives you a momentary dos box then shuts down.

    Some people it seems have a difficulty understanding that Windows' "DOS
    box" is not really DOS.

    On Windows NT, it is an emulated DOS (i.e. not really DOS at all). On
    Windows 9x/ME it is the real COMMAND.COM, but running in Windows instead
    of DOS, so has access to Windows system calls (i.e. a fusion of DOS and
    Windows).

    Thus "ipconfig" will run in a "DOS box" in Windows, but will not actually
    run on MS-DOS (or PC-DOS, DR-DOS, etc), making it a Windows application --
    not a DOS one.

    It's quite logical really. DOS has no TCP/IP support, so ipconfig would be
    pretty screwed in DOS. Ditto Windows "ping" and "tracert".

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Nov 23, 2003
  8. Werner Godfroid

    Si Ballenger Guest

    On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:06:32 -0600, "Richard" <anonymous@127.000>
    wrote:

    > Toby! wrote:
    >
    > > rf wrote:

    > >> Besides, it is quite in order to launch a DOS executable from within
    > >> Windows. Windows just wraps it in a dos box. What do you think happens
    > >> when you run ipconfig, which is a DOS program?

    >That would be the DOS version of winipcfg, which is a windows based program.
    >Opening ipconfig in windows gives you a momentary dos box then shuts down.
    >

    > > Actually, ipconfig is a Windows console program. Try running it in DOS
    > > (really in DOS -- not in a Windows shell) and it will say something like
    > > "This program requires Microsoft Windows".

    Copy the below, paste in notepad, save as ip.bat, then double
    click the ip.bat file.

    ipconfig /?
    pause
    Si Ballenger, Nov 23, 2003
  9. Werner Godfroid

    Si Ballenger Guest

    On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 07:48:29 +0100, "Werner Godfroid"
    <> wrote:

    >------=_NextPart_000_0167_01C3B196.2F51B300
    >
    >Hello to everyone
    >
    >I'm trying to make a new schoolsite. My pupils, 12 year old, made some =
    >Latin exercises in Qbasic, which I want to integrate in this site.
    >Their little program works well on my pc. No problem at all.
    >Nevertheless, when I click on the hyperlink to their exe file I get an =
    >error (in their programscreen) which says: File not found in line. No =
    >line number in Latijn2 at address 06EF:004A.
    >I have Windows XP and Frontpage 2000
    >What did I do wrong?

    Did you design the exe file to be a webserver cgi application
    instead of a desktop application? The way the operate is very
    different.

    Si Ballenger, Nov 23, 2003