    from database and shows it to users in the internet. So there is not html
    that has the data, if I need to get Google or other search engines to crawl
    these pages, what are my options?

    JIM.H., Mar 8, 2008

  2. Re: How to get search engines crawl data

    "JIM.H." <> wrote in message
    > How to get search engines crawl data
    > I have a web application that uses user controls and pulls data directly
    > from database and shows it to users in the internet. So there is not html
    > that has the data, if I need to get Google or other search engines to
    > crawl
    > these pages, what are my options?

    If the data is displayed as default then the search engine will read it as
    html, if your users have to click on a button for example to get the data
    then of cause it will not be indexed

    ThatsIT.net.au, Mar 8, 2008

  3. JIM.H.

    JIM.H. Guest

    Re: How to get search engines crawl data

    Thanks for the reply. Data will be displaying via page_load, it is not in
    html, is there any workaround?

    JIM.H., Mar 8, 2008
  4. Re: How to get search engines crawl data

    "JIM.H." <> wrote in message

    >> If the data is displayed as default then the search engine will read it
    >> as
    >> html, if your users have to click on a button for example to get the data
    >> then of cause it will not be indexed

    > Data will be displaying via page_load

    Any default data which is displayed during Page_Load will be picked up by a
    crawler...

    > it is not in HTML.

    Pretty much everything displayed on a web page is HTML in one form or
    another - exceptions obviously include things like Flash etc, but this
    doesn't apply in your case...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Mar 8, 2008
  5. JIM.H.

    JIM.H. Guest

    Re: How to get search engines crawl data

    Thanks for the reply. I am talking about the data coming from database, on
    the fly, I am still not clear how a search engine would crawl it while the
    data is simply on the client’s browser basically. Can you give me more detail
    please?

    JIM.H., Mar 8, 2008
  6. Re: How to get search engines crawl data

    You have to understand how search engine crawlers work. They load a page,
    index it. In the process they look for links ("A" tag) in the page. Then they
    proceed to load each linked page and they repeat the process. It does not
    matter *Where* your content is coming from. Hope that helps.
    -- Peter
    Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    Short Urls & more: http://ittyurl.net

    Peter Bromberg [C# MVP], Mar 8, 2008
  7. JIM.H.

    JIM.H. Guest

    Re: How to get search engines crawl data

    Thanks Peter. I think it is getting more clear but just to make sure I do not
    miss anything; The data grid has the data shown to a user base on criteria in
    page_load in code behind, let’s say search engine somehow crawled this page
    successfully at that specific time while page is loaded just because somebody
    has access that page. When the user close the page, input criteria is lost,
    data is not available anymore on the screen. Now are we saying that since
    search engine has crawled this page it will be able to include that page into
    other people’s search result? If yes, the search engine should be keeping
    those data somewhere, where would that be?

    JIM.H., Mar 9, 2008
  8. Re: How to get search engines crawl data

    "JIM.H." <> wrote in message
    > Thanks Peter. I think it is getting more clear but just to make sure I do
    > not
    > miss anything; The data grid has the data shown to a user base on criteria
    > in
    > page_load in code behind, let’s say search engine somehow crawled this
    > page
    > successfully at that specific time while page is loaded just because
    > somebody
    > has access that page. When the user close the page, input criteria is
    > lost,
    > data is not available anymore on the screen. Now are we saying that since
    > search engine has crawled this page it will be able to include that page
    > into
    > other people’s search result? If yes, the search engine should be keeping
    > those data somewhere, where would that be?

    The crawler will load the page as if it is a client, it will simply follow a
    URL. what ever loads no mater where it comes from will be indexed. It does
    no matter what users are using the page at the time. the crawler is the
    user, how it loads when the crawler follows the links is what will be
    indexed

    ThatsIT.net.au, Mar 13, 2008
  9. JIM.H.

    caroline Guest