q - including manpages in setup.py

aum

Hi,

What is the best way to incorporate manpages in a distutils setup.py
script?

Is there any distro-independent way to find the most appropriate place to
put the manpages?
For instance, /usr/man/? /usr/share/man? /usr/local/man?
/usr/local/share/man?

Also - I've got .html conversions of the manpages, for the benefit of OSs
such as Windows which don't natively support manpages. What's the best
place to put these?

Serge Orlov

aum said:
Hi,

What is the best way to incorporate manpages in a distutils setup.py
script?

Is there any distro-independent way to find the most appropriate place to
put the manpages?
For instance, /usr/man/? /usr/share/man? /usr/local/man?
/usr/local/share/man?

What do you mean distro? Linux? That should be /usr/local/man but AFAIK
some distros are misconfigured and their man doesn't search /usr/local
by default, YMMV.
Also - I've got .html conversions of the manpages, for the benefit of OSs
such as Windows which don't natively support manpages. What's the best
place to put these?

your_tool --html-manual that uses os.start or webbrowser module to
invoke html viewer. Or your_tool --man that dumps plain text on the
screen.