    to every link tag to solve the problem, but which single head action
    could do it for all links of a page ?

    Thanks
    Paul Sellis, Feb 23, 2004

  2. Paul Sellis

    Paul Furman Guest

    Paul Sellis wrote:

    > How to remove all the dotted rectangles that surround active links in
    > Internet Explorer (solid blue on Mac).
    >
    > I can add
    > onfocus=²blur()²
    > to every link tag to solve the problem, but which single head action
    > could do it for all links of a page ?

    Hmmm, I only get that dotted line in Mozilla, not IE. This is when I tab
    to a link to make it active or click on it and drag off before releasing
    to leave it active.

    How would I apply that blur thing to a particular link? Where does it go
    in the syntax?

    Paul Furman, Feb 23, 2004

  3. Paul Sellis

    Paul Furman Guest

    Paul Sellis wrote:

    > How to remove all the dotted rectangles that surround active links in
    > Internet Explorer (solid blue on Mac).
    >
    > I can add
    > onfocus=²blur()²
    > to every link tag to solve the problem, but which single head action
    > could do it for all links of a page ?
    >
    > Thanks

    This removes the active color but not just dotted line in mozilla:
    <a onfocus="blur()" href="">text</a>
    Paul Furman, Feb 23, 2004
  4. Paul Sellis

    Paul Furman Guest

    Paul Furman wrote:

    > Paul Sellis wrote:
    >

    >> How to remove all the dotted rectangles that surround active links in
    >> Internet Explorer (solid blue on Mac).
    >>
    >> I can add onfocus=²blur()² to every link tag to solve the problem, but
    >> which single head action could do it for all links of a page ?

    > Hmmm, I only get that dotted line in Mozilla, not IE. This is when I tab
    > to a link to make it active or click on it and drag off before releasing
    > to leave it active.
    >
    > How would I apply that blur thing to a particular link? Where does it go
    > in the syntax?

    This removes the focus not just the dotted line in mozilla:
    <a onfocus="blur()" href="">text</a>
    Paul Furman, Feb 23, 2004
  5. Paul Sellis

    Paul Furman Guest

    Paul Furman wrote:

    > Paul Sellis wrote:
    >

    >> How to remove all the dotted rectangles that surround active links in
    >> Internet Explorer (solid blue on Mac).
    >>
    >> I can add onfocus=²blur()² to every link tag to solve the problem, but
    >> which single head action could do it for all links of a page ?

    > Hmmm, I only get that dotted line in Mozilla, not IE. This is when I tab
    > to a link to make it active or click on it and drag off before releasing
    > to leave it active.
    >
    > How would I apply that blur thing to a particular link? Where does it go
    > in the syntax?

    This removes the focus not just the dotted line in mozilla & IE:
    <a onfocus="blur()" href="">text</a>
    Paul Furman, Feb 23, 2004
  6. Paul Sellis <> wrote:

    > How to remove all the dotted rectangles that surround active links
    > in Internet Explorer (solid blue on Mac).

    Don't. They are more useful than you think.

    > I can add
    > onfocus=²blur()²

    Really? I don't think superscript 2 is a valid surrogate for a
    quotation mark. It seems that you need to fix your newsreader, or get
    one.

    > to every link tag to solve the problem,

    You misspelled "create problems". Not only would that do the harmful
    thing you want in some browsing situations - it would also do its
    defined job of preventing focusing, hence creating a discriminating
    barrier to all people (millions here on Earth) who cannot use a mouse
    but need to tab.

    If you really, really must remove the useful focus indicator, at least
    use the Microsoft invention, the hidefocus attribute, which does no
    other harm than removing the focus indicator on IE.

    > but which single head
    > action could do it for all links of a page ?

    None, thank &Deity;.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Feb 23, 2004
  7. Paul Sellis

    Safalra Guest

    Safalra, Feb 23, 2004
  8. Paul Sellis

    John McGaw Guest

    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in message
    > Paul Sellis <> wrote:

    snip...
    > > I can add
    > > onfocus=²blur()²

    > Really? I don't think superscript 2 is a valid surrogate for a
    > quotation mark. It seems that you need to fix your newsreader, or get
    > one.

    snip...

    The superscripted characters are a Mac thing. I don't claim to understand
    why but superscripted 1s and 2s and 3s abound in every text submission I get
    from a couple of Mac users living aboard a yacht in the Carribean and I
    automatically filter now without even thinking about it.
    --
    John McGaw
    [Knoxville, TN, USA]

    Return address will not work. Please
    reply in group or through my website:
    http://johnmcgaw.com
    John McGaw, Feb 23, 2004
  9. Paul Sellis

    Paul Furman Guest

    Safalra wrote:

    > Paul Sellis <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>How to remove all the dotted rectangles that surround active links in
    >>Internet Explorer (solid blue on Mac).

    > See:
    >
    > http://www.safalra.com/hypertext/html/activedots.html
    >
    > (Note the accessibility problems it causes though, explained further down the page.)

    Hmm, it didn't work for me. I could have used it on one particular link
    but no change in IE6 or Mozilla 1.4
    Paul Furman, Feb 23, 2004
  10. Paul Sellis

    Safalra Guest

    Paul Furman <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Safalra wrote:
    > > Paul Sellis <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > >>How to remove all the dotted rectangles that surround active links in
    > >>Internet Explorer (solid blue on Mac).

    > > See:
    > >
    > > http://www.safalra.com/hypertext/html/activedots.html
    > >
    > > (Note the accessibility problems it causes though, explained further down the page.)

    > Hmm, it didn't work for me. I could have used it on one particular link
    > but no change in IE6 or Mozilla 1.4

    Presumably IE doesn't support the 'outline' property. Drat. Still, the
    accessibility issues are still relevant.

    --- Safalra (Stephen Morley) ---
    http://www.safalra.com/hypertext
    Safalra, Feb 24, 2004