[Q] Javascript to remove dotted rectangles in IE

Paul Sellis

How to remove all the dotted rectangles that surround active links in
Internet Explorer (solid blue on Mac).

I can add
onfocus=²blur()²
to every link tag to solve the problem, but which single head action
could do it for all links of a page ?

Thanks

Paul Furman

Paul said:
How to remove all the dotted rectangles that surround active links in
Internet Explorer (solid blue on Mac).

I can add
onfocus=²blur()²
to every link tag to solve the problem, but which single head action
could do it for all links of a page ?

Hmmm, I only get that dotted line in Mozilla, not IE. This is when I tab
to a link to make it active or click on it and drag off before releasing
to leave it active.

How would I apply that blur thing to a particular link? Where does it go
in the syntax?

Paul Furman

Paul said:
How to remove all the dotted rectangles that surround active links in
Internet Explorer (solid blue on Mac).

I can add
onfocus=²blur()²
to every link tag to solve the problem, but which single head action
could do it for all links of a page ?

Thanks

This removes the active color but not just dotted line in mozilla:
<a onfocus="blur()" href="">text</a>

Paul Furman

Paul said:
Hmmm, I only get that dotted line in Mozilla, not IE. This is when I tab
to a link to make it active or click on it and drag off before releasing
to leave it active.

How would I apply that blur thing to a particular link? Where does it go
in the syntax?

This removes the focus not just the dotted line in mozilla:
<a onfocus="blur()" href="">text</a>

Paul Furman

Paul said:
Hmmm, I only get that dotted line in Mozilla, not IE. This is when I tab
to a link to make it active or click on it and drag off before releasing
to leave it active.

How would I apply that blur thing to a particular link? Where does it go
in the syntax?

This removes the focus not just the dotted line in mozilla & IE:
<a onfocus="blur()" href="">text</a>

Jukka K. Korpela

Paul Sellis said:
How to remove all the dotted rectangles that surround active links
in Internet Explorer (solid blue on Mac).

Don't. They are more useful than you think.
I can add
onfocus=²blur()²

Really? I don't think superscript 2 is a valid surrogate for a
quotation mark. It seems that you need to fix your newsreader, or get
one.
to every link tag to solve the problem,

You misspelled "create problems". Not only would that do the harmful
thing you want in some browsing situations - it would also do its
defined job of preventing focusing, hence creating a discriminating
barrier to all people (millions here on Earth) who cannot use a mouse
but need to tab.

If you really, really must remove the useful focus indicator, at least
use the Microsoft invention, the hidefocus attribute, which does no
other harm than removing the focus indicator on IE.
but which single head
action could do it for all links of a page ?

None, thank &Deity;.

John McGaw

Jukka K. Korpela said:
Really? I don't think superscript 2 is a valid surrogate for a
quotation mark. It seems that you need to fix your newsreader, or get
one. snip...

The superscripted characters are a Mac thing. I don't claim to understand
why but superscripted 1s and 2s and 3s abound in every text submission I get
from a couple of Mac users living aboard a yacht in the Carribean and I
automatically filter now without even thinking about it.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Return address will not work. Please