q; Keeping Credit Card in the database

Guest

Keeping Credit Card in the database:
If I am going to keep credit card information in the database, what process
and procedure I need to pay attention so that I would not be in trouble
because of security in web application, database, and in the building that
the server is in. Any guidelines?

Michael Nemtsev

Hello JIM.H.,

Use SSL to have the postback encryption, encript session state and DB content

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/

J> Keeping Credit Card in the database:
J> If I am going to keep credit card information in the database, what
J> process
J> and procedure I need to pay attention so that I would not be in
J> trouble
J> because of security in web application, database, and in the building
J> that
J> the server is in. Any guidelines

Tim Payne

Some of this will depend on the applicable data laws in your country. For
example the UK data protection act states how long you're allowed/required
to keep data for and that sort of thing.

All transactions should be done over SSL, and the credit card details should
be encrypted in the database, preferably using a key with salt.

Regards,

Tim.

Mark Rae [MVP]

Some of this will depend on the applicable data laws in your country. For
example the UK data protection act states how long you're allowed/required
to keep data for and that sort of thing.

Very true. In addition, you need to be registered with the Information
Commissioner's Office before you can store certain types of data, especially
personal and financial data like this...
All transactions should be done over SSL, and the credit card details
should be encrypted in the database, preferably using a key with salt.

Yes, definitely.

Rad [Visual C# MVP]

Keeping Credit Card in the database:
If I am going to keep credit card information in the database, what process
and procedure I need to pay attention so that I would not be in trouble
because of security in web application, database, and in the building that
the server is in. Any guidelines?
You also need to look at database level encryption