Q: literal comments in style sheet

Discussion in 'XML' started by David Carlisle, Apr 5, 2005.

  1. (Malcolm Dew-Jones) writes:

    > I am examining xslt 1.0 (as documented at http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt).
    >
    > I have seen notes elsewhere to a 1.1, but I don't see such a beast at the
    > above site. Is there an XSLT 1.1, (perhaps it is XPath 1.1 I have seen)
    > or am I just confused?

    There was a draft (still available from w3c site) but the working group
    killed off work on xslt 1.1 to work on 2.0 (before they knew 2.0 was
    going to take half a decade to align with xquery:) A couple of xslt
    systems (notably saxon 6.x do implement the 1.1 draft actually) but as
    it will never be finalised now it's best to pretend that they don't.

    > I am curious about some literal things in the style sheets.
    >
    > Is there an option that controls the passing of _literal_ comments and
    > PI's to the output?

    No.

    > I know I could use xsl:comment to output a comment, but I am not trying to
    > output anything, I am just trying to make sure I understand the specs.
    >
    > As far as I can see, literal comments and processing instructions in the
    > style sheet are never output.

    True.

    David

    David Carlisle, Apr 5, 2005

[...]