Q: Locale independant way to process special chars

Jakob Bieling

Hi,

Did not really know a short subject line, which describes my question
better. I want to figure out, if a specific character is an alphabetic
character, without having to be locale specific. For example, even tho the
Umlaut a (ie. 'ä') is not in part of the English alphabet, it is part of the
German alphabet. Despite that, I would like the Umlaut a to be recognised as
an alphabetic character, without having to switch locales; otherwise, I
would have to loop thru all different locales, just to find out, if a
character is part of the alphabet of any of these.

Tho my documentation tells me that 'for iswalpha, the result of the test
condition is independent of locale', it still returns 0 for the Umlaut a. Is
my C++ implementation broken or did I just misunderstand something?

Thanks!

David Hilsee

Jakob Bieling said:
Hi,

Did not really know a short subject line, which describes my question
better. I want to figure out, if a specific character is an alphabetic
character, without having to be locale specific. For example, even tho the
Umlaut a (ie. 'ä') is not in part of the English alphabet, it is part of the
German alphabet. Despite that, I would like the Umlaut a to be recognised as
an alphabetic character, without having to switch locales; otherwise, I
would have to loop thru all different locales, just to find out, if a
character is part of the alphabet of any of these.

I would be surprised if there were a single standard function call that did
what you need to do. It sounds like an odd bit of functionality that most
people would never use. Why would you want to know if a character is an
alpabetic character in any locale? Is a loop not feasible?
Tho my documentation tells me that 'for iswalpha, the result of the test
condition is independent of locale', it still returns 0 for the Umlaut a. Is
my C++ implementation broken or did I just misunderstand something?

I would assume that this means that, for any input, the return value of
iswalpha will not change when the current locale changes.

David Hilsee

Tho my documentation tells me that 'for iswalpha, the result of the test
condition is independent of locale', it still returns 0 for the Umlaut a. Is
my C++ implementation broken or did I just misunderstand something?

FWIW, std::iswalpha(L'ä') returned true on VS.NET 2003 Win2K Pro.

Jakob Bieling

David Hilsee said:
a.

FWIW, std::iswalpha(L'ä') returned true on VS.NET 2003 Win2K Pro.

Ah, thanks for the hint. My fault, I passed a char without converting to
unsigned first, so the sign was expanded in the implicit conversion, which
made it return 0. It all works now, thanks! :)