Q: Packaging JRuby

G. Ralph Kuntz, MD, MS

What are the options for packaging a JRuby script? I tried the
tutorial from netbeans for making a JRuby Swing application, but it
fails to run; it gets the following error: -e:1:in `require': no such
file to load -- /scripts/main (LoadError). I realize that the tutorial
actually has a bug in it; it refers to the 'swingjruby2.scripts'
package in the text, but 'scripts' in the dialog boxes.

I would like to package JRuby scripts that I am writing to run as
utilities on remote machines that I manage. The machines have the JVM
on them, but JRuby is not installed. I would also like to be able to
send the utilities to customers. They too have the JVM, but no JRuby,
and I cannot expect them to install it (they are computer naive).

The packaging must allow the script to be in a single file (.jar
or .exe).

I have used RubyScript2Exe, but I am planning on also using Java
runtime code in my scripts (like Swing), so the packaging must apply
to JRuby.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Ralph

James Britt

What are the options for packaging a JRuby script? I tried the
tutorial from netbeans for making a JRuby Swing application, but it
fails to run; it gets the following error: -e:1:in `require': no such
file to load -- /scripts/main (LoadError). I realize that the tutorial
actually has a bug in it; it refers to the 'swingjruby2.scripts'
package in the text, but 'scripts' in the dialog boxes.

I would like to package JRuby scripts that I am writing to run as
utilities on remote machines that I manage. The machines have the JVM
on them, but JRuby is not installed. I would also like to be able to
send the utilities to customers. They too have the JVM, but no JRuby,
and I cannot expect them to install it (they are computer naive).

Take a look at rawr. It's intended to make it snake-simple to package
up JRuby apps as .exe, .app, or as an executable jar.

http://rubyforge.org/projects/rawr/

for the gem.

Actual source code is hosted on gitorious:

http://gitorious.org/projects/rawr

--
James Britt

www.happycamperstudios.com - Wicked Cool Coding