Q: Packaging JRuby

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by G. Ralph Kuntz, MD, MS, Aug 4, 2008.

  1. What are the options for packaging a JRuby script? I tried the
    tutorial from netbeans for making a JRuby Swing application, but it
    fails to run; it gets the following error: -e:1:in `require': no such
    file to load -- /scripts/main (LoadError). I realize that the tutorial
    actually has a bug in it; it refers to the 'swingjruby2.scripts'
    package in the text, but 'scripts' in the dialog boxes.

    I would like to package JRuby scripts that I am writing to run as
    utilities on remote machines that I manage. The machines have the JVM
    on them, but JRuby is not installed. I would also like to be able to
    send the utilities to customers. They too have the JVM, but no JRuby,
    and I cannot expect them to install it (they are computer naive).

    The packaging must allow the script to be in a single file (.jar
    or .exe).

    I have used RubyScript2Exe, but I am planning on also using Java
    runtime code in my scripts (like Swing), so the packaging must apply
    to JRuby.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks, Ralph

    G. Ralph Kuntz, MD, MS, Aug 4, 2008

  2. G. Ralph Kuntz, MD, MS

    James Britt Guest

    G. Ralph Kuntz, MD, MS wrote:
    > What are the options for packaging a JRuby script? I tried the
    > tutorial from netbeans for making a JRuby Swing application, but it
    > fails to run; it gets the following error: -e:1:in `require': no such
    > file to load -- /scripts/main (LoadError). I realize that the tutorial
    > actually has a bug in it; it refers to the 'swingjruby2.scripts'
    > package in the text, but 'scripts' in the dialog boxes.
    >
    > I would like to package JRuby scripts that I am writing to run as
    > utilities on remote machines that I manage. The machines have the JVM
    > on them, but JRuby is not installed. I would also like to be able to
    > send the utilities to customers. They too have the JVM, but no JRuby,
    > and I cannot expect them to install it (they are computer naive).

    Take a look at rawr. It's intended to make it snake-simple to package
    up JRuby apps as .exe, .app, or as an executable jar.

    http://rubyforge.org/projects/rawr/

    for the gem.

    Actual source code is hosted on gitorious:

    http://gitorious.org/projects/rawr

    --
    James Britt

    www.happycamperstudios.com - Wicked Cool Coding