[Q]search.h is a part of Standard C library?

itsolution

Following is a snippet of FreeBSD man page.
It seems to indicate search.h is a part of Standard C library.
True?
What's the exact list of Standard C library headers?
Looks like most modent OS supports search.h by defaul, though.

===================

INSQUE(3) FreeBSD Library Functions Manual INSQUE(3)

NAME
insque, remque -- doubly-linked list management

LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc)

SYNOPSIS
#include <search.h>

void
insque(void *element1, void *pred);

void
remque(void *element);

Ian Collins

Following is a snippet of FreeBSD man page.
It seems to indicate search.h is a part of Standard C library.
True?
False.

What's the exact list of Standard C library headers?

See section 7 of the C99 standard.
Looks like most modent OS supports search.h by defaul, though.
Maybe (I think most UNIX like systems have it), but it isn't portable.

Richard Heathfield

(e-mail address removed) said:
Following is a snippet of FreeBSD man page.
It seems to indicate search.h is a part of Standard C library.
True?

No. For one thing, search.h is a header, not a library! And for another
thing, it's not a standard header, and insque and remque are not
standard C functions. Almost certainly they simply mean "we've dumped
insque and remque into the same library that we used for the standard
library functions".
What's the exact list of Standard C library headers?

It depends on which C you've got - C90 or C99 (or indeed C95).

For C90, you can find the list in K&R2. For C95, add <iso646.h>. For
C99, add Uncle Tom Cobbley and all.

<snip>

jacob navia

(e-mail address removed) a écrit :
Following is a snippet of FreeBSD man page.
It seems to indicate search.h is a part of Standard C library.
True?
What's the exact list of Standard C library headers?
Looks like most modent OS supports search.h by defaul, though.

This is an extension to the C library provided by FreeBSD.
You can find the list of header files in standard C
in the C standard document available from ANSI/ISO.

You will find that info in the Appendix B (Library summary)
of the standard document.

CBFalconer

Richard said:
(e-mail address removed) said:
.... snip ...

It depends on which C you've got - C90 or C99 (or indeed C95).

For C90, you can find the list in K&R2. For C95, add <iso646.h>.
For C99, add Uncle Tom Cobbley and all.

or read n1124.

-- Francis Crick, co-discover of DNA
-- Thomas Matthews

Pierre Asselin

Following is a snippet of FreeBSD man page.
It seems to indicate search.h is a part of Standard C library.
[ ... ]
INSQUE(3) FreeBSD Library Functions Manual INSQUE(3)

Read further down. On NetBSD at least, the same man page says:

STANDARDS
The insque() and remque() functions conform to IEEE
Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1'').