Q: SQL Server login error, used to work fine?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Matt C., May 12, 2004.

  1. Matt C.

    Matt C. Guest

    Just this week I have discovered that my ASP.NET apps do not connect
    properly to SQL server anymore. If I try to connect to the server by name,
    I get the error "SQL Server does not exist or access denied."

    However, if I change the SQL server connection string to use IP address, I
    can connect successfully. I am using SQL Server Security (not integrated)
    to connect to the SQL server. I have tried adding "Net=dbmssocn" to the
    connection string and adding the server name to my HOSTS file just in case
    there was a named pipes issue or a slow lookup; neither thing helped. I can
    ping the server by name with no problem, and other apps (e.g. VB 6 apps) can
    connect by server name.

    The failures on the client correspond to logon failures on the server for
    WORKSTATION\ASPNET. (Logon Type 3, process NtLmSsp, plus another error code
    3221225572.) My workstation connects to the network via a VPN, just in case
    it's relevant.

    The app shouldn't be trying to connect as WORKSTATION\ASPNET at all, and I
    definitely don't understand why it started to do this out of the blue. My
    guess is it has something to do with the security updates I installed last
    week (against Sasser, I don't remember the #s), but that is only a guess.

    Has anyone had any related problems, perhaps associated with the latest
    security updates? Or have any insight why my app refuses to use SQL Server
    authentication with the server name?

    Matt

    Matt C., May 12, 2004