Q: What is a good reference book to buy?

James Tursa

I would like advice on what to buy for a good reference book. I don't
need hand-holding, I just need a good, thorough, reference book. I am
a casual c/c++ programmer that had an introduction to java some years
ago and would like to pick it up again. Thanks.

James Tursa

David Segall

James Tursa said:
I would like advice on what to buy for a good reference book. I don't
need hand-holding, I just need a good, thorough, reference book. I am
a casual c/c++ programmer that had an introduction to java some years
ago and would like to pick it up again. Thanks.
I undertook a similar quest a few of years ago and chose the two
volume "Core Java" <http://horstmann.com/corejava.html>. I don't think
it was the wrong choice but I have since decided that "a thorough
reference book" for Java is not possible because of the huge and ever
expanding Java libraries. If you want bedside reading buy them but if
you want a reference while you work buy a second monitor to emulate a
book beside your existing monitor. I think all the information you are
ever likely to need is available in help files or free on the web but,
if not, you can supplement it at a much lower cost from Safari
<http://www.safaribooksonline.com/index.php>.

Roedy Green

I would like advice on what to buy for a good reference book. I don't
need hand-holding, I just need a good, thorough, reference book. I am
a casual c/c++ programmer that had an introduction to java some years
ago and would like to pick it up again. Thanks.

I would say Marty Hall's books. He explains stuff about
communications nobody else touches.
Core Web Programming, Second Edition
See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/who.html

Amit Jain

I would like advice on what to buy for a good reference book. I don't
need hand-holding, I just need a good, thorough, reference book. I am
a casual c/c++ programmer that had an introduction to java some years
ago and would like to pick it up again. Thanks.

Head First Java

Danno

I would like advice on what to buy for a good reference book. I don't
need hand-holding, I just need a good, thorough, reference book. I am
a casual c/c++ programmer that had an introduction to java some years
ago and would like to pick it up again. Thanks.

James Tursa

I learned on this one, Complete Java 2 Certification Study Guide.
Whether you are going for a certification or not. The less text more
code is awesome, and it covers the language real well.

http://tinyurl.com/2zjgeh
(links to amazon.com)

Amit Jain

For certification

Head First Java, Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates.
A Programmer's Guide to Java Certification, Khalid Mughal and Rolf
Rasmussen.

Amit Jain

~kurt

James Tursa said:
I would like advice on what to buy for a good reference book. I don't
need hand-holding, I just need a good, thorough, reference book. I am
a casual c/c++ programmer that had an introduction to java some years
ago and would like to pick it up again. Thanks.

The Core Java I and II books are hands down the best Java books (and
references) I have ever come across. They are very useful for real
work.

- Kurt

gerrymcc

Head First Java, Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates.
A Programmer's Guide to Java Certification, Khalid Mughal and Rolf
Rasmussen.
Amit Jain

I'm not sure what exactly qualifies as a Reference Book, but that
Programmer's Guide is a great book. I got most of the Java
help I needed for my MSc from it, supplemented by the API
documentation and online research. I'm not a professional programmer
though, I teach piano; I'm 51 and couldn't get an entry level
programming job here in Ireland due to lack of professional
experience.

Gerard [http://homepage.eircom.net/~gerfmcc]

Lew

though, I teach piano; I'm 51 and couldn't get an entry level
programming job here in Ireland due to lack of professional
experience.

That sure sounds like discrimination. I thought the EU and all member
countries forbade such.

Ralf Callenberg

29.08.2007 14:33, Lew:
That sure sounds like discrimination. I thought the EU and all member
countries forbade such.

At least when it comes to discrimination based on age, this is not taken
very seriously. There are job ads, where age requirements are made more
or less explicit. In contrast to the US at least in Germany (and I have
no reason to think that this is the exception) you are de facto forced
to present your exact age in your job application.

Greetings,
Ralf