Q: What to name a module?

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Robert Rothenberg, Jul 15, 2004.

  1. I am working on a module that when given a CPAN distribution, will return
    which modules the distribtion requires (by parsing the Makefile.PL using
    Module::MakefilePL::parse if the META.yml file is not available).

    A companion module will actually try to fetch the distribution information
    from CPAN (since it can query a .meta file if it exists before downloading an
    entire distribution).

    Because it is more closely tied to CPAN and works with distributions rather
    than modules, I am thinking of calling it CPAN::Distribution::Depends.

    Comments or suggestions about the namespace would be appreciated.

    FYI--I am writing yet another module to do this because existing modules
    either do not work on my platform or they require preqrequisite modules to be
    installed. Basically they either compile the module or run
    Makefile.PL/Build.PL and see what modules are asked for. I'd rather use a
    safer (and I think faster) method to partially-parse the Makefile.PL if no
    META.yml is available.

    Some tests using all the latest distribution on CPAN show that it works for
    all but a handful of distributions.

    This is actually part of a larger project to show test results (organized by
    platform) of module dependencies. If there is a failure in the dependency
    tree, authors can check for this.

    I've also posted this question on Perl Monks at
    <http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=374747>
    Robert Rothenberg, Jul 15, 2004

  2. Hi,

    CPAN::Distribution::Depends is good, but how about
    CPAN::Distribution::Resolv ?
    Mohammad Mahmoud Khajah, Jul 16, 2004

  3. Robert Rothenberg wrote:

    > Because it is more closely tied to CPAN and works with distributions
    > rather than modules, I am thinking of calling it
    > CPAN::Distribution::Depends.
    >
    > Comments or suggestions about the namespace would be appreciated.

    The one recommendation I remember from many, many years ago was that in
    the vein of the data structure being the real core of an object system,
    that you name the module after a noun, rather than a verb. So 'Depends'
    would be good (as short for 'dependencies'), and 'Distribution' is
    better than 'Distribute'.

    Krishna Sethuraman
    Krishna Sethuraman, Jul 17, 2004